[Grammar] how do you call the area where audience sits in a theater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me how we call the area where audience sits in a theater?
#1 Can we call it 'audience section'?
#2 Do we say "there are a lot of people in the audience section" or "there are a lot of people at the audience section"?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear teachers,

#2 Do we say "there are a lot of people in the audience section" or "there are a lot of people at the audience section"?

More specifically, the house refers to any area in the theatre where the audience is seated.

Auditorium | Definition of Auditorium at Dictionary.com:

There are a lot of spectators in the theatre.

anishjp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
South Africa
Dear teachers,

Hi,

Gallery

[Not a teacher]

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

If there are people present, you can refer to it as 'the audience', thus: "There are a lot of people in the audience". Otherwise 'auditorium' is a good general word.

About the word 'gallery'. The gallery of a theatre is a specific area. The area in front of the stage, on the floor is called the 'stalls' or 'arena'. Then there is a raised area called the 'balcony' or 'gallery'. This often has more than one level - 'dress circle' used for the lowest level, 'mezzanine' for the next, 'the gods' for the highest platform. Another area is the 'boxes', which are the parts to the side of the auditorium, raised on a balcony which are usually the most expensive seats.

So yes, 'auditorium' or 'seating area' or something similar would do in general. And you can be more specific if needs be.

Status
Not open for further replies.