I shall and I will

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanity

Member Type
Student or Learner
Would someone kindly explain to me when, in the future tense, is "I shall" most commonly used, as opposed to "I will"?

(Also, do not hesitate to correct any of my eventual grammar or spelling mistakes!:))

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's not more commonly used. It's very rarely used in modern English as a future tense. You can find it in the Bible.
Not a teacher.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's not more commonly used. It's very rarely used in modern English as a future tense. You can find it in the Bible.
Not a teacher.

Although "shall" is much less frequently used than "will" to talk about the future, it is used to ask questions "Shall I make some tea?", for example

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is a very interesting article, thank you. I have a question on this matter:
Shall in protasis

Should (and in archaic usage, shall) can be used in the protasis in the conditional mood (and by extension, similar phrases, such as those beginning with "who" or "so long as"):

• If you should require assistance, please just ask
  • The prize should be given to whoever shall have done the best

When do I use it? What's the difference between:
If you should require assistance, please just ask.
and
If you require assistance, please just ask.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I have the easy one?;-)

What's the difference between:
If you should require assistance, please just ask.
and
If you require assistance, please just ask.
Practically speaking, there is no difference.
:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
But would you say that the first one ("should") sounds too pompous and is best avoided?

No, it sounds polite and thoughtful.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
But would you say that the first one ("should") sounds too pompous and is best avoided?

Hello Vanity,

I reckon 'shall' is a little old-fashioned nowadays. Sometimes people use it for sugestion or advice but now English persons do not use it. The purpose of your quote it's to know if there is a difference between the both ones.

I think shall is desappearing of the English vocabulary, but I am not a teacher just a French learner.

Cordially,

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would someone kindly explain to me when, in the future tense, is "I shall" most commonly used, as opposed to "I will"?

(Also, do not hesitate to correct any of my eventual grammar or spelling mistakes!:))
***NOT A TEACHER***vanity, here in the States, almost everyone uses "will" for future. "Shall" is used usually only in questions (Shall we dance? Shall I open the door?) and perhaps in threats (Oh, yeah? We shall see about that!!!). The famous Henry Fowler said that the only persons who could use "shall" correctly were those born in a certain social class ("to the manner born"). A few (very few) Americans try to maintain the difference between the "shall" showing future ("I shall be in my office at 9 a.m. as usual every day") and the "will" showing determination ("Don't worry. I will be in my office waiting for you at 11 p.m. as I promised"). Although I was certainly NOT to the manner born, I try to maintain this distinction. I do not, however, have the courage to say, "I shan't." Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.