Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Dear friends, my question rather confusion regarding "s" is about its usage with the words which comes right after doesn't, shouldn't, didn't, wouldn't in sentences. For example: "Money doesn't make sense". In this sentence word "make" is without "s" (make). But I've seen people saying: "It doesn't makes sense". Here in this sentence word make is with "s" (makes). These are just two examples to illustrate and tell my confusion to you. But the same is true for words which comes just after didn't, don't, wouldn't etc.

So my question is how we choose which is third person singular in these type of sentences ? Would be happy if I get reply in detail.:)

Thanks

ha179

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Not a teacher.
But I've seen people saying: "It doesn't makes sense". Here in this sentence word make is with "s" (makes)
Maybe the 's' you heard is in the word sense'pronunciation because I've never seen this sentence before.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you have a form of the verb "to do" then the main verb will be in the infinitive (without the "to").

If you have did/do/does/didn't/don't etc., etc., then the main verb won't have the S.

If you heard it, the person either mis-spoke or you mis-heard.

nuharani

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
As far as I know, the word "s" never comes after modals (can, may, must, shall, will) or (would, could, should, etc) or auxiliary (do, does, did). The word "s"only comes if the subject the third person (she, he) and the sentences are in the present tense.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As far as I know, the word "s" never comes after modals (can, may, must, shall, will) or (would, could, should, etc) or auxiliary (do, does, did). The word "s"only comes if the subject the third person (she, he) and the sentences are in the present tense.

'Does'='do'+'s'
So it's not true that 's' never comes with auxiliary verbs.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, nuharani said it doesn't come AFTER those verbs, not that those verbs can't have them. "To do" clearly has the third-person singular form of "does" as listed in nuharani's examples.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No, nuharani said it doesn't come AFTER those verbs, not that those verbs can't have them. "To do" clearly has the third-person singular form of "does" as listed in nuharani's examples.
You're right. One sometimes thinks they understand better and they don't :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear friends, my question rather confusion regarding "s" is about its usage with the words which comes right after doesn't, shouldn't, didn't, wouldn't in sentences. For example: "Money doesn't make sense". In this sentence word "make" is without "s" (make). But I've seen people saying: "It doesn't makes sense". Here in this sentence word make is with "s" (makes). These are just two examples to illustrate and tell my confusion to you. But the same is true for words which comes just after didn't, don't, wouldn't etc.

So my question is how we choose which is third person singular in these type of sentences ? Would be happy if I get reply in detail.:)

Thanks
***NOT A TEACHER***Razer: Some people say English is an easy language. Of course. it is not. But as the other posters have told you, this is one time in which it is easy: NEVER, EVER use "s" after so-called auxililary verbs such as "do," "does," or "did"; NEVER, EVER use "s" after so-called "modals" such as "may," might,
" "can," "could," "will," "shall," "should," etc. Just remember this easy rule, and you will NEVER make this kind of mistake. People who don't follow this rule simply don't know English. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.