Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1
    #1

    What is the difference

    What is the difference between

    The doctor has gone to Hospital vs The doctor has gone to the Hospital

  1. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #2

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by k.ravi View Post
    What is the difference between

    The doctor has gone to Hospital vs The doctor has gone to the Hospital
    The noun "hospital" (just like the noun "doctor") requires the definite article "the." Hence,

    The doctor has gone to the hospital.

  2. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #3

    Re: What is the difference

    Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker


    Quote Originally Posted by k.ravi View Post

    The doctor has gone to a hospital vs The doctor has gone to the hospital
    If, to which hospital the doctor has gone is known, you should use the definite article, otherwise use the indefinite one.However, I think the word "hospital" can be used without article for referring to hospitilized patients.Such as;

    Q:How is he doing recently?

    A:Oh, haven't you heard that he is at hospital.(Here, the emphasis is about a person's condition ,not where he is.)

    But we'd better wait for a native-speaker for a confirmation.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #4

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker




    If, to which hospital the doctor has gone is known, you should use the definite article, otherwise use the indefinite one.However, I think the word "hospital" can be used without article for referring to the patients.Such as;

    Q:How is he doing recently?

    A:Oh, haven't you heard that he is at hospital.(Here, the emphasis is about a person's condition ,not where he is.)

    But we'd better wait for a native-speaker for a confirmation.
    If you say "The doctor has gone to hospital", it strongly implies that he is sick and has gone for treatment.
    "The doctor has gone to a hospital", implies the same, almost as strongly.
    "The doctor has gone to the hospital", however, implies that he has gone to the hospital where he works.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If you say "The doctor has gone to hospital", it strongly implies that he is sick and has gone for treatment.
    I agree. This is quite normal in most Englishes.
    Going to hospital is like going to school - neither requires an article.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #6

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by k.ravi View Post
    What is the difference between

    The doctor has gone to Hospital vs The doctor has gone to the Hospital
    ***NOT A TEACHER*** I'm pretty sure that here in the United States, "the" is always used with "hospital": (1) Where's Mona?/ Oh, she's gone to the hospital to visit her friend. (2) Why isn't Dr. Smith in his office today?/Sorry, he's been called to the hospital because of an emergency. (3) There was a terrrible crash. The victims have been taken to the hospital.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #7

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER*** I'm pretty sure that here in the United States, "the" is always used with "hospital": (1) Where's Mona?/ Oh, she's gone to the hospital to visit her friend. (2) Why isn't Dr. Smith in his office today?/Sorry, he's been called to the hospital because of an emergency. (3) There was a terrrible crash. The victims have been taken to the hospital.
    That's all quite confusing. Every teacher I had told me to say "I'm going to the hospital".

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #8

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER*** I'm pretty sure that here in the United States, "the" is always used with "hospital": (1) Where's Mona?/ Oh, she's gone to the hospital to visit her friend. (2) Why isn't Dr. Smith in his office today?/Sorry, he's been called to the hospital because of an emergency. (3) There was a terrrible crash. The victims have been taken to the hospital.
    Yes, but it's not the same in BrE, Irish English, Indian Eglish and, it seems, Australian English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #9

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    That's all quite confusing. Every teacher I had told me to say "I'm going to the hospital".
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Mmasny: As you know, there are some differences between American and other varieties of English. You will have to decide which variety you wish to master. Just keep an open mind and accept all varieties with respect. I keep trying to perfect my California English, but I enjoy reading British newspapers online because it gives me a chance to learn British slang and marvel at British spelling. Most Americans, for example, have no idea what "gaol" means. They think it's a misprint for "goal"!!! When you visit the U.K., follow British rules; when in the States, follow American rules. It's good exercise for the mind.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #10

    Re: What is the difference

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Mmasny: As you know, there are some differences between American and other varieties of English. You will have to decide which variety you wish to master. Just keep an open mind and accept all varieties with respect. I keep trying to perfect my California English, but I enjoy reading British newspapers online because it gives me a chance to learn British slang and marvel at British spelling. Most Americans, for example, have no idea what "gaol" means. They think it's a misprint for "goal"!!! When you visit the U.K., follow British rules; when in the States, follow American rules. It's good exercise for the mind.
    That's easy for you to say because you are a native English speaker, and such games would come easy to you.
    Actually I think it's counterproductive to choose a variety and then fret over whether everything you say and write is normal in that variety. It's all English (well, most of it) and the sky will not fall if you say "He had to go to the hospital" in Australia or Britain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. difference in meaning?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2010, 09:19
  2. "Difference Between" or "the difference between"
    By cherran in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2009, 15:43
  3. [Idiom] The difference gets tacked onto the principal?
    By eliang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2008, 18:30
  4. mean the difference
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2008, 18:34
  5. Difference in sense
    By FJR-Michael in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-May-2005, 19:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •