[Grammar] Grammatical error

Status
Not open for further replies.

chachcha

Member Type
Other
Is this sentence correct? If not, correct it.
Each one of the Councillors puts forwards the problems of their wards.

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
Is this sentence correct? If not, correct it.
Each one of the Councillors puts forwards the problems of their wards.

As a native I would more likely say:

Each one of the councillors put forward the problems of their wards.

But if 'wards' is referring to a hospital ward, I would be inclined to say:

Each one of the councillors put forward the problems on their wards.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you have a request for help, it would be nice if you said "Please" and didn't order us to "Correct it."

"Each" takes "puts", so it's "each puts forward" (no S on "forward") whether you have "of the councillors" or not. I also wouldn't capitalize.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
If you have a request for help, it would be nice if you said "Please" and didn't order us to "Correct it."

Plus do not forget to thank the helper for his/her precious time (s)he offered to you with the sole intention of sorting out no one else but your own problem. Thank him or her irrespective of whether his or her comments are helpful to you or not. "Do not look a gift horse in the mouth," or what they say.
;-)

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As a native I would more likely say:

Each one of the councillors put forward the problems of their wards.

But if 'wards' is referring to a hospital ward, I would be inclined to say:

Each one of the councillors put forward the problems on their wards.
Now, I understand nothing. How come someone is a native and says 'put' is right here? The more I read this forum the less I think I know :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now, I understand nothing. How come someone is a native and says 'put' is right here? The more I read this forum the less I think I know :)
***NOT A TEACHER***mmasny, (1) Perhaps the confusion lies in the tense. If the sentence is talking about the past, then every native speaker would say use "put" (because "put" is the past of "put." (2) But if the sentence is talking about something that the councillors do every day, then most books would suggest that you use "puts" because it agrees with "each one." On the other hand, some native speakers (especially in fast conversation) will say "put" because the word "councillors" makes a bigger impression on their minds than did th first words ("each one"). I'm pretty sure that most teachers would advise you to follow the rule: "each one" = singular = "puts." Thank you.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
"put forward" = put forward definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

The Councillors put forward their views of the problems relating to their wards [the political region/division of a community that a councillor represents on a council]

Each councillor puts forward a view of the problems relating to the represented ward.

In this context I think "each one of" is unnecessary. "Each" is enough.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If the sentence is intended to be in the past tense then "put" is correct, but there is nothing to suggest that intention.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're absolutely right -- I didn't consider the past tense, but that would, of course, make "put" correct.

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia

Me too! :-?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner

When the pronoun 'each' is followed by an of phrase containing a plural noun or pronoun, there is a tendency for the verb to be plural: Each of the Councillors put/puts forwards... . However, we have that 'one' in the sentence that throws a spanner in the works. That makes 'each' a determiner and the verb singular.

Status
Not open for further replies.