Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
What does 'get under one's feet' mean? "I hope you're not gonna be getting under our feet this time, we have dinner to prepare."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Get in our way -- interfere with our actions.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I assume it's used in both BrE and AmE? I suppose anybody speaking BrE or AmE (or even AusE?) will easily understand it?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I assume it's used in both BrE and AmE? I suppose anybody speaking BrE or AmE (or even AusE?) will easily understand it?

I've never actually heard the expression used, so I wouldn't say it is very common. But even so, I would have assumed it meant being in the way.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Often heard in kitchens when children get in their mother's way as she is cooking" Oh do get out from under my feet! You are being so tiresome. Go and find something to do outside!"

RVMatt

Member Type
Other
[I am not a teacher of English, but am a native (American) English speaker for the past 61 years.]
This expression means to interfere with a task that another person is trying to do, with no intent to interfere and possibly with an intent to help. Example: When trying to do a task, such as standing to cut food items for a meal, small children or pet animals may literally get under your feet (and get stepped on), which interferes with the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.