Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to "English Grammar in Use" written by Raymond Murphy, we should say, "I've seen some good films recently," and not "I've seen good films...."

I've heard that native speakers usually say, "I've bought some melons," and not "I've bought melons" unless the person wants to emphasize that they were melons and not apples or other fruit.

"I sent different books to Tom and Bill."
Is this sentence without "some" before "different books" acceptable because "different" is emphasized?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
According to "English Grammar in Use" written by Raymond Murphy, we should say, "I've seen some good films recently," and not "I've seen good films...."

I've heard that native speakers usually say, "I've bought some melons," and not "I've bought melons" unless the person wants to emphasize that they were melons and not apples or other fruit.

Is this sentence without "some" before "different books" acceptable because "different" is emphasized?

(Not a teacher or grammarian at all)

It occurs to me that 'some' is a quantifier. That is, you use it when you want to indicate how many of something you are talking about. There is some truth in the 'I've bought melons' vs. 'I've bought some melons' meaning 'melons not apples', but mostly I see it as being 'I've bought some, not loads'.

'I sent some different books...'
'I sent ten different books...'
'I sent several different books...'
'I sent different books...'

All of the above, except the last one, give an indication of how many different books were sent. The 'differen't indicates that they weren't the same.

That's my opinion, at least. Some is an indication of number.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
I've seen good films. :tick:
I've seen some good films. :tick:

I sent some different books to Tom and Bill. :tick: (ambiguous)
I sent different books to Tom and Bill. :tick: (ambiguous)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***NOT A TEACHER***Snappy, you have asked an excellent question. Michael Swan's popular PRACTICAL ENGLISH USAGE gives this helpful guidance: (1) We planted SOME roses. = a limited number; speaker doesn't say how many. (2) I have decided to plant roses this year. = no idea of number. (3) Can you put SOME blankets in the back seat of the car in case the children get cold? (4) The President has appealed for blankets for the earthquake victims. Mr. Swan devotes several pages to this topic. Thank you.

RVMatt

Member Type
Other
[not a teacher]
I agree with Linguist that some is a quantifier. In addition, in the sentences "I've seen good films lately." vs. "I've seen some good films lately.", the second sentence also conveys that some of the films that were seen were not good.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to "English Grammar in Use" written by Raymond Murphy, we should say, "I've seen some good films recently," and we should not say, "I've seen good films recently."

I understand that "I've seen good films recently." does not occur in usual conversation while "I've seen a good film/some good films recently." does.

My question is, if this sentence sounds natural without "some" before "different books," is that because the word "different" is used?

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to "English Grammar in Use" written by Raymond Murphy, we should say, "I've seen some good films recently," and we should not say, "I've seen good films recently."

I understand that "I've seen good films recently." does not occur in usual conversation while "I've seen a good film/some good films recently." does.

My question is, if this sentence sounds natural without "some" before "different books," is that because the word "different" is used?

In other words, is the following conversation natural?

A: May I help you?
B: Yes. I want apples.
A: Apples? How many?
B: Five, please.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In other words, is the following conversation natural?

A: May I help you?
B: Yes. I want apples.
A: Apples? How many?
B: Five, please.
***NOT A TEACHER***No, sir, that is not "natural." B: Yes. I would like SOME apples, please. As Mr. Swan said, you want a limited number but you are not saying how many.

Status
Not open for further replies.