Grammar Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trudypelley

Member Type
Academic
Is the use of the word "myself" correct in the following sentence:

The first step in initiating it, will require a meeting between the executives and myself to discuss the possibility of returning to a higher quality of work.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

The first step in initiating it, will require a meeting between the executives and myself to discuss the possibility of returning to a higher quality of work.

Welcome to the forums. Yes, it's fine.

rlfwood

Member Type
English Teacher

This use of "myself" is certainly common, and, I suppose, unobjectionable. It's not really a correct use of the reflexive.

You wouldn't say, "You need to meet with myself." Instead, you would say, "You need to meet with me."

Adding "the executives" doesn't change anything. You would say, "You need to meet with the executives and me," not "You need to meet with the executives and myself."

To be strictly correct, "myself" should be reserved for those instances where you are both the subject and the object of the action: "I scratched myself", "I embarrassed myself", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.