[Grammar] Please help me to analyse the structure of a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

banhnuong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Please help me with this sentence that I don't understand from BBC Learning English :

Forget that still unwritten report or the backlog of paperwork building up on the desk, on this cold and rainy mid-week night there can be no excuses to stay late in the office

I don't understand the use of words "Forget" & "there" here.
Please help!
Thank you very much.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please help me with this sentence that I don't understand from BBC Learning English :

Forget that still unwritten report or the backlog of paperwork building up on the desk, on this cold and rainy mid-week night there can be no excuses to stay late in the office

I don't understand the use of words "Forget" & "there" here.
Please help!
Thank you very much.
A verb occurring at the start of a sentence like this is often an indication that the sentence is in the imperative form.
The speaker is telling you to forget something.
He says "Forget i) that still unwritten report ii) the backlog of paperwork that is building up on your desk." With the "or", this means that these are simply two examples of the type of things that you should forget.
He then continues with the reason you should forget them (and he uses a comma instead of a semicolon - it's essentially a new sentence):
"On this cold and rainy mid-week night, there can be no excuses to stay late in the office".
There are no excuses to stay late.

Status
Not open for further replies.