Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How does one handle the interjection in terms of sentence structure. If I use an interjection of one word, is this a proper use of English. Does it count as a grammatical sentence? Is it a fragment? Must it always be followed by a comma and linked to a sentence to be grammatically correct. For example, in the sentence, he loved the wilderness. If I want to follow it with a Yes! for emphasis, does the Yes! standing alone create a fragment or sentence. Is it grammatically?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
How does one handle the interjection in terms of sentence structure. If I use an interjection of one word, is this a proper use of English. Does it count as a grammatical sentence? Is it a fragment? Must it always be followed by a comma and linked to a sentence to be grammatically correct. For example, in the sentence, he loved the wilderness. If I want to follow it with a Yes! for emphasis, does the Yes! standing alone create a fragment or sentence. Is it grammatically?
It's certainly possible to do, it depends on the wider context, what comes before and what you are going to write after it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't constitute a full sentence in the traditional definition, so it's a fragment, though you could call it a minor sentence if you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.