[Grammar] analysing a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

latha

Member Type
Student or Learner
i want to analyse the following sentence

As i want to attend an interview in Mumbai i reserved the ticket so that i could travel comfortably

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner

As i want to attend an interview in Mumbai i reserved the ticket so that i could travel comfortably

Your sentence does not make sense. There are two reason clauses and they both relate to 'I reserved a ticket' but do not agree.

As I wanted to learn English, I went to a language school lest I should catch a cold. :-D

Illogical!

rlfwood

Member Type
English Teacher

Evidently the speaker reserved the ticket so that he/she could travel comfortably to Mumbai in order to attend an interview there. Presumably the reservation was necessary to ensure that comfortable accommodations (first class?) would be available on the plane/train?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think it is either I reserved the ticket so that i could travel comfortably.,

or

As I wanted to travel there, I reserved a ticket.

I want to attend an interview in Mumbai, so I reserved the ticket so that I could travel comfortably. :tick:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

I would rephrase it like this "As I want to attend an interview in Mumbai I have reserved a ticket, so that I can travel comfortably."

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Illogical. The original sentence may sound good English, but it is illogical. The sentence is introduced by an adverbial sub-clause that provides the reason for the reservation of the ticket. The main clause follows and then comes another reason clause that explains a different motive behind the reservation. Why 're-explain'? If there is more than one reason, I would include them conjoined in the same subordinate clause like this:

As I want to attend an interview in Mumbai and travel there comfortably, I have reserved a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.