[Vocabulary] item prizes vs. material rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurdman

Member Type
Other
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with the following: the winners in a students competition are about to receive awards such as books, calendars, and souvenirs. Would those be called "item prizes" or "material rewards"? If yes, which one would sound more natural in this particular context. If not, what word would best describe them?

Thank you very much in advance.

apedescendent

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
None of the above- simply call them "rewards" because the pupils are rewarded for their work as well as for their result, therefore they can only be rewarded! They are not going to get a prize. Also, their rewards are material but also physical in form of acknowledgment by You and the entire school/college...

Hurdman

Member Type
Other
Thank you for your response, apedescendent,

I guess my questions sound somewhat vague. Sorry about that. Actually, I wanted to get a native speaker's opinion on the difference between "item prizes" and "material rewards" in terms of language usage, and more specifically how natural/unnatural they sound to a native speaker's ear, and which one they would use when referring to a non-monetary prize. :)

Again, thank you. :)

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Since I have been speaking Canadian English for 55 years, I will call myself a native speaker.

Neither of the terms you mention apply to the situation. Since it is a student competition, I would simply call them prizes.

If everyone receives the same item, you could call them an award. An award would also normally be inscribed with the reason for the award, and the recipient's name.

I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.