Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. newbie10's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 41
    #1

    Use of Advice and advise

    Hi

    I would like to clear my doubt
    I have found that if we write "Please advise" in MSOffice or in Outlook it shows a red underline indicating the mistake.
    When we click the suggestion it shows "advice" instead of "advise" what we use.
    According to MSOffice or Outlook the correct form should be "Please Advice"

    But, as per our knowledge is concern we know advise should be used there as the sentence requires a verb NOT any noun.

    Kindly advise

  2. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #2

    Re: Use of Advice and advise

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie10 View Post
    Hi

    I would like to clear my doubt
    I have found that if we write "Please advise" in MSOffice or in Outlook it shows a red underline indicating the mistake.
    When we click the suggestion it shows "advice" instead of "advise" what we use.
    According to MSOffice or Outlook the correct form should be "Please Advice"

    But, as per our knowledge is concern we know advise should be used there as the sentence requires a verb NOT any noun.

    Kindly advise
    You are correct. It requires a verb, that is, "advise." "Advice" is the noun.

  3. newbie10's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 41
    #3

    Re: Use of Advice and advise

    If i am correct then why the red underline comes under the word "Please Advise" ?? The sentence should be "Please advise" but outlook and MSWord always treat it a mistake and put red underline..
    I can not make out what would be the correct form

  4. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #4

    Re: Use of Advice and advise

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie10 View Post
    If i am correct then why the red underline comes under the word "Please Advise" ?? The sentence should be "Please advise" but outlook and MSWord always treat it a mistake and put red underline..
    I can not make out what would be the correct form
    I have no clue. But, then, MSWord is just a computer program and does not always understand your meaning. Just put Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in a Word document and see all the "mistakes" that get pointed out.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #5

    Exclamation Re: Use of Advice and advise

    Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    I have no clue. But, then, MSWord is just a computer program and does not always understand your meaning. Just put Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in a Word document and see all the "mistakes" that get pointed out.
    I think, Newbie10 must put a verb after the word ‘please’ if used as adverb but then ‘please’ can be used as a verb in which case it needs a noun or pronoun ;as:
    Can you do something yourself or to please advice (not advise)what we should do?

    However, I am unable to guess as to how Lincoln's Gettysburg Address will get to the clue.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #6

    Exclamation Re: Use of Advice and advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    I don't think so. Maybe - please give advice. To advise is to tell someone something. The standard form is - please advise.

    "The teller ran off with all the money. Please advise as to what I should do now".

    The reference to the Gettysburg Address was made to illustrate how a computer would have problems with a complicated speech.
    I hope you will accept this: Can you please him and get his advice?

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between Advise & Advice
    By mohaimel in forum Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2010, 20:27
  2. Advise or advice
    By dollie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2009, 02:33
  3. Can you tell me the difference between advice and advise?
    By chiru_thota in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2009, 17:56
  4. Please advise. or Please advice. ???
    By sweetie123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2009, 14:44
  5. Diff b/w advise and advice
    By gradha.83 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-May-2008, 10:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •