Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi

I would like to clear my doubt
I have found that if we write "Please advise" in MSOffice or in Outlook it shows a red underline indicating the mistake.
When we click the suggestion it shows "advice" instead of "advise" what we use.
According to MSOffice or Outlook the correct form should be "Please Advice"

But, as per our knowledge is concern we know advise should be used there as the sentence requires a verb NOT any noun.

Kindly advise

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi

I would like to clear my doubt
I have found that if we write "Please advise" in MSOffice or in Outlook it shows a red underline indicating the mistake.
When we click the suggestion it shows "advice" instead of "advise" what we use.
According to MSOffice or Outlook the correct form should be "Please Advice"

But, as per our knowledge is concern we know advise should be used there as the sentence requires a verb NOT any noun.

Kindly advise

You are correct. It requires a verb, that is, "advise." "Advice" is the noun.

newbie10

Member Type
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If i am correct then why the red underline comes under the word "Please Advise" ?? The sentence should be "Please advise" but outlook and MSWord always treat it a mistake and put red underline..
I can not make out what would be the correct form

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
If i am correct then why the red underline comes under the word "Please Advise" ?? The sentence should be "Please advise" but outlook and MSWord always treat it a mistake and put red underline..
I can not make out what would be the correct form

I have no clue. But, then, MSWord is just a computer program and does not always understand your meaning. Just put Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in a Word document and see all the "mistakes" that get pointed out.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have no clue. But, then, MSWord is just a computer program and does not always understand your meaning. Just put Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in a Word document and see all the "mistakes" that get pointed out.

I think, Newbie10 must put a verb after the word ‘please’ if used as adverb but then ‘please’ can be used as a verb in which case it needs a noun or pronoun ;as:
Can you do something yourself or to please advice (not advise)what we should do?

However, I am unable to guess as to how Lincoln's Gettysburg Address will get to the clue.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't think so. Maybe - please give advice. To advise is to tell someone something. The standard form is - please advise.

"The teller ran off with all the money. Please advise as to what I should do now".

The reference to the Gettysburg Address was made to illustrate how a computer would have problems with a complicated speech.

I hope you will accept this: Can you please him and get his advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.