Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 67
    #1

    slang

    Hi everyone,

    Please let me know the meaning of ring off and kindly correct the statement please.

    please dont ring off until the customer rings off.

    I need to ring off iam tied up with something.

  1. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,877
    #2

    Re: slang

    Quote Originally Posted by princesabharwal View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Please let me know the meaning of ring off and kindly correct the statement please.

    Please don't ring off until the customer rings off.

    I need to ring off. I am tied up with something.
    The expression 'ring off' means to finish a phone conversation. "Ring off' is not common usage in the US. We would say 'hang up' instead of 'ring off'.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    #3

    Re: slang

    I had no idea of this expression, and haven't heard it here (British English - Scotland, specifically).

    Where is it commonly used?

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,877
    #4

    Re: slang

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I had no idea of this expression, and haven't heard it here (British English - Scotland, specifically).

    Where is it commonly used?
    Hi, Linguist!

    See the following URL: ring off - Definition of ring off phrasal verb from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

    I have heard the expression used many times when I watch British produced movies and TV programs. The expression is seldom (if ever) used in the US.

  3. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #5

    Re: slang

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Linguist!

    See the following URL: ring off - Definition of ring off phrasal verb from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

    I have heard the expression used many times when I watch British produced movies and TV programs. The expression is seldom (if ever) used in the US.
    But is this construction grammatically and otherwise correct??

    "please dont ring off until the customer rings off"

  4. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,877
    #6

    Re: slang

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    But is this construction grammatically and otherwise correct??

    "please dont ring off until the customer rings off"
    Yes! "Please don't ring off until the customer rings off." would be correct.

    In the US we would say: Please don't hang up until the customer hangs up.


  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #7

    Re: slang

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I had no idea of this expression, and haven't heard it here (British English - Scotland, specifically).

    Where is it commonly used?
    It's quite commonly used in southern England, I had always thought that it was used all over Britain.

  6. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,877
    #8

    Re: slang

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It's quite commonly used in southern England, I had always thought that it was used all over Britain.
    I agree with you, bhaisahab! I also thought 'ring off' was used throughout Britain! I am surprised that the expression is not common usage in Scotland!

Similar Threads

  1. Are those sentences slang, too?
    By Nightmare85 in forum English Slang
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2010, 11:21
  2. How to learn/use slang properly?
    By thedaffodils in forum English Slang
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2008, 02:22
  3. Favourite movies, slang -a time, a place
    By David L. in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2008, 14:14
  4. Slang search
    By Tetsuo in forum Comments & Suggestions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2006, 17:01
  5. New References of English Idioms, Slang and Swearing
    By Red5 in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2005, 20:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •