Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

Could you please help me get rid of my doubts regarding the following common example of a statement found in many Contract Agreement texts:

"...the Contractor shall not be liable for any delay in execution of the works for reasons not directly attributable to him/them/it..."

I think I've seen them all, but which pronoun is, in your opinion, the most appropriate in that context?

TIA - Tomasz

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can't use "it" -- The contractor is a person.
You could use "him" if the contractor is a male.
Legal contracts is one of the few situations where using a the plural form "they/their/them" for a singular might create confusion. Or at least give someone an excuse to sue someone.

Just repeat "the Contractor."

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
OK, I may not have made myself perfectly clear; in my example THE CONTRACTOR is not an individual but a corporate entity (a Joint-Stock Company), hence the option 'it'. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah. Well, in the US, we tend to use the singular for corporate entities, so "it" would be my choice, but it's still behind repeating "the Contractor."

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK, I may not have made myself perfectly clear; in my example THE CONTRACTOR is not an individual but a corporate entity (a Joint-Stock Company), hence the option 'it'. ;-)
Hi, Tomasz!

How about: "InfoTech shall not be liable for any delay in execution of the works for reasons not directly attributable to the contractor/company."

"The contractor shall not be liable for loss or damage caused because the client provided it with incorrect or incomplete information."

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you :)

Yes, repetition should be the best choice here, not particularly elegant perhaps, but certainly unambiguous. ;-)

Amigos - I'd avoid using the company name at the beginning of the sentence since in the preamble the parties, beside their company names, are identified as '...hereinafter referred to as The Client...', you know, the usual wording... ;-)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you :)

Yes, repetition should be the best choice here, not particularly elegant perhaps, but certainly unambiguous. ;-)

Amigos - I'd avoid using the company name at the beginning of the sentence since in the preamble the parties, beside their company names, are identified as '...hereinafter referred to as The Client...', you know, the usual wording... ;-)
Tomasz, I like 'elegant' but lawyers prefer 'unambiguous'!!! :cool: Repetition is the best fit for a legal document! ;-)

Cheers, my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.