Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
" That's very important for the gay community to respect."

Isn't this right that that is importnat for the gay community to be respected in context?

that is, not to respect but to be repected.

If I am wrong, does the above mean the gay community have something to respect, and it is important?

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
" That's very important for the gay community to respect."

Isn't this right that that is important for the gay community to be respected in context? no

that is, not to respect but to be respected. no

If I am wrong, does the above mean the gay community has something to respect, and it is important? yes

atssarbia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
But i guess this sentence is not perfect, because the verb 'respect' is a transitive verb.
And the sentence doesn't have a direct object.

So, I think it is right that that is important for the gay community to be respected (by people). And in general, according to that People think gays as strangers in society, so I think peple need to respect gay communities in context.

Am I worng?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The direct object of 'respect' in your first sentence is whatever "That" refers to.
"Straight people also have rights. That's very important for the gay community to respect." =
"It's very important for the gay community to respect straight people's rights" or "to respect that straight people also have rights."

But you're right. "Respect" doesn't really fit well grammatically. "Understand" would be better.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But i guess this sentence is not perfect, because the verb 'respect' is a transitive verb.
And the sentence doesn't have a direct object.
The sentence is fine. Raymott explained where the direct object is.

So, I think it is right that that is important for the gay community to be respected (by people). No, this sentence is passive. Your original sentence is active: "important for the gay community to respect".

Am I worng? Yes, you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.