• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

"the other three nations" or "the three other nations"

Are the following sentences both acceptable?

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the other three nations.

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the three other nations.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: "the other three nations" or "the three other nations"

Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the other three nations.

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the three other nations.
    The origin with reference to India need to be placed first.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: "the other three nations" or "the three other nations"

Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post

Yes, both are acceptable. I prefer the first.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In that sentence, there's no ambiguity. You know there are four in total, and you're talking about one compared to the other three.

However, with "the other three" in other situations, it could sound like there are two groups of three. France, Germany, and the Netherlands, compared to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore, for example.

So in the original, "the three others" would actually be more accurate. My rule is that clarity is the most important rule, over "correctness" and since there is no chance at all for misunderstanding the first one, it doesn't matter that much.

But it would be good to understand the difference so you could apply it correctly in other situations.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    In that sentence, there's no ambiguity. You know there are four in total, and you're talking about one compared to the other three.

However, with "the other three" in other situations, it could sound like there are two groups of three. France, Germany, and the Netherlands, compared to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore, for example.

So in the original, "the three others" would actually be more accurate. My rule is that clarity is the most important rule, over "correctness" and since there is no chance at all for misunderstanding the first one, it doesn't matter that much.

But it would be good to understand the difference so you could apply it correctly in other situations.
    ***NOT A TEACHER***I have always found this topic interesting. May I share this example that I found with this website's learners: Former Prime Minister X and his secretary were the 14th and 15th persons arrested in the case. The OTHER 13 persons were all businessmen." The book says that since a first set of 13 persons was not mentioned, it would be "preferable" to say: the 13 OTHER persons. Thank you.