requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

arizonasilver83

Member Type
Student or Learner
what is the differences between two requests? 1- Would it be OK if I picked it up on Friday night? or Would you mind if i borrowed your digital camera? & Do you mind if I use your laptop?
why in first & second requests we have used simple past tense and in third request we have used present tense.I deeply appreciate your kindness dear teacher.

arizonasilver83

Member Type
Student or Learner
what is the differences between two requests? 1- Would it be OK if I picked it up on Friday night? or Would you mind if i borrowed your digital camera? & Do you mind if I use your laptop?
why in first & second requests we have used simple past tense and in third request we have used present tense.I deeply appreciate your kindness dear teacher.
Is there any differences between making a requests with modals ,if clause ,and gerund?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is there any differences between making a requests with modals ,if clause ,and gerund?
No, it's more likely to be that the common usages are:
Do you mind if I do something.
Would you mind if I did something?

kubman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please compare the following:

What would you do if found $1000 on the street?

What will you do if you find $1000 on the street?

When you use would / if + past simple verb form in requests, it sounds more polite and more formal at the same time.

BTW you can say:
Do you mind me using your laptop?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Do you mind me using your laptop?" seems to say that the person is already doing it and wants to know if there is any objection. "Would you mind if I use your laptop?" seems more like a request to me.

:)

kubman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Do you mind me using your laptop?" seems to say that the person is already doing it and wants to know if there is any objection. "Would you mind if I use your laptop?" seems more like a request to me.

:)

I see your point here but it appears to me like "Do you mind me using your laptop?" depends on the context and could be used as a request.
(i.e. your're about to do something, you expect agreement from another person so you just say it for the record)
On the other hand, it can also refer to a general question (not a request):
compare: - Do you mind cooking?
- No, not at all. Actually, I'm keen on it.

This question is not a request nor does it suggest that somebody is cooking at the moment.

So it all depends on the context.
Sure enough, "Would you mind if I used your laptop?" seems to be a proper request, like said before.
;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.