Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
I read and heard similar sentences several times.
Usually it's:
good - better - best

However, I found a site that writes there are super super-latives.
Urban Dictionary: bestest
Is this something like slang or is it even common?
To be honest, I like bestest :)
Maybe it's common for commercials.

Cheers!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do use it, but only deliberately and not because I don't know that it's not a real word.

If I shoot someone an e-mail with a question and they answer back right away, I might write back, "Thank you! You are the bestest!" but it's just to be fun and I wouldn't do it with someone I didn't consider to be a friend as well as a colleague.

For example, I would never be in a meeting and say "I think John put forth the bestest plan."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
I read and heard similar sentences several times.
Usually it's:
good - better - best

However, I found a site that writes there are super super-latives.
Urban Dictionary: bestest
Is this something like slang or is it even common?
To be honest, I like bestest :)
Maybe it's common for commercials.

Cheers!
***NOT a teacher***good afternoon, Nightmare85. In case you don't already know it, there is another slang word in the United States: baddest. But usually it does NOT mean "bad." It means the "best." For example: He is the baddest dude at school. = He's the "coolest guy." Thank you.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
In case you don't already know it, there is another slang word in the United States: baddest. But usually it does NOT mean "bad." It means the "best." For example: He is the baddest dude at school. = He's the "coolest guy." Thank you.

Wow, are you a visionary? :)
I wanted to create a thread about the word "baddest".
Around 5 years ago I saw this cover, and I've always asked myself:
http://www.covergalaxy.com/forum/at...aiden-black-ntsc-cover-ninja-gaiden-black.jpg
(In case you don't want to click the game cover:)
Experience Ryu Hayabusa's deadly artistry in Ninja Gaiden Black, the biggest, baddest, fastest and newest installment in the critically acclaimed Ninja Gaiden series.
Now I finally know its meaning.

Just a question, shouldn't there be a comma between "fastest and newest"?
(fastest, and newest)
I thought we usually put a comma in English before an "and" when we list features, or anything else.

Cheers!

grinder

Member Type
Other
Just a question, shouldn't there be a comma between "fastest and newest"?
(fastest, and newest)
I thought we usually put a comma in English before an "and" when we list features, or anything else.
You actually drop the comma before the "and".

For example, "a, b, c and d". If its only a list of two items, as in "a and b", you don't have a comma at all.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
***NOT a teacher***good afternoon, Nightmare85. In case you don't already know it, there is another slang word in the United States: baddest. But usually it does NOT mean "bad." It means the "best." For example: He is the baddest dude at school. = He's the "coolest guy." Thank you.

(Not a teacher)

The tendency in English (mostly American English, which sometimes then trickles into other regions) seems to be to use negative words positively. I find it amusing. Some words which mean 'cool', 'good' etc:

Phat (fat)
Ill
Sick
Bad
Messed up

I mean, if someone told me "That guy is one phat, ill, sick, and messed up guy", I would think to reply, "poor guy. I hope he gets better."

Also, about putting a comma before 'and' in a list of items or not - either is acceptable, and it is just personal preference. I just do it for consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.