Question master of IT or IT our master

I would be very interested to hear from others teachers whether they feel that IT can overshadow the real objectives of a lesson and while powerpoint presentations look impressive, do they really aid learning. Are we getting better results now than we did 10 - 15 years ago when we had little or no IT in the classroom.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: master of IT or IT our master

Quote Originally Posted by juliette@julietteryan View Post
    I would be very interested to hear from others teachers whether they feel that IT can overshadow the real objectives of a lesson and while powerpoint presentations look impressive, do they really aid learning. Are we getting better results now than we did 10 - 15 years ago when we had little or no IT in the classroom.
    This kind of technology can be useful as a tool amongst other tools, it should not be the be all and end all of methods of education.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by juliette@julietteryan View Post
    It really depends on the quality of the materials produced. Most PowerPoint presentations, especially lectures, that I have sat through have been deadly dull- they can become a security blanket and overshadow the spoken part. That said, PowerPoint can be used effectively. There is an assumption in some areas of education that IT is inherently good, which I find questionable, though I do believe that there is a lot of good in it too and do spend a lot of time using it. It is also possible to be a good teacher without it.

I think that often the most valuable technology is the kind that is almost invisible- the power of forums is their ability to allow you to contact such a wide range of interested people, the technology merely provides the platform.

This assumption that you mention is also held by The British Council and OFSTED who, on inspection, expect to see IT being used it the classroom regardless. I do use an interactive whiteboard in some of my classes, but feel that the lesson is only as good as the lesson plan and while you may use a collage of pictures to launch a topic on the IWB, cut outs from magazines serve the purpose just as well. I taught in China 15 years ago and had no IT, not even a photocopier, and my library of pics was ragged and tatty. The students loved looking through them and learning took place. Now, our students expect the all singing dancing hardware in the classroom and I believe it can get in the way of actual teaching as the teacher fails to actually get off the platform you mention and get on with the task iin hand.