Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello!. Good morning!

I have a doubt about verbs.

For example, I am trying to find a logical reasoning for the different construction in the following sentences:

" I want you to buy a ticket".
" I recommend you buy a ticket".

I have been finding out about how the sentences with the verb "recommend" are formed and it seems to me that we could also write you to buy, but the meaning would change.
So, why both sentences are formed in a different way?. Is there any rule, or it just that each verb behaves or works differently?.
P.S: sorry for my english..
Thank you so much in advance!
Best regards!

Last edited:

phrasemix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi for learning,
If you learn the reason why "recommend" and "want" take different constructions, is that going to help you use them better?

I'm not too sure that it will. I think that the best way to treat these kinds of problems is to memorize them one by one, and then as you're learning them you'll start to notice patterns.

For example, you'll notice that "suggest" works the same way as "recommend", but "urge" works like "want".

Something else you might notice is that, when you take "you" out of the sentence, "suggest" and "recommend" are followed by a gerund ("I recommend buying a ticket") while "want" is followed by the infinitive ("I want to buy a ticket")

Sorry not to give a clear answer as to "why" one is used rather than the other, but that's because I can't think of any rule that will reliably help you to pick which construction to use with a certain verb. I think memorization is your best option.

for learning

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi for learning,
If you learn the reason why "recommend" and "want" take different constructions, is that going to help you use them better?

I'm not too sure that it will. I think that the best way to treat these kinds of problems is to memorize them one by one, and then as you're learning them you'll start to notice patterns.

For example, you'll notice that "suggest" works the same way as "recommend", but "urge" works like "want".

Something else you might notice is that, when you take "you" out of the sentence, "suggest" and "recommend" are followed by a gerund ("I recommend buying a ticket") while "want" is followed by the infinitive ("I want to buy a ticket")

Sorry not to give a clear answer as to "why" one is used rather than the other, but that's because I can't think of any rule that will reliably help you to pick which construction to use with a certain verb. I think memorization is your best option.

Thank you so much phrasemic!

I know that to look for logic reasonings and rules is not always the best way to learn a language, and many times I have to control myself in this aspect. Though I believe that sometimes it is a good way to enjoy the language.
Anyway, your explanations have been really remarkable.Thank you for that.

Regards!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.