Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Last week RSPP, the State Duma and the Ministry of Public Health were turned into platforms for public debate over the draft law on circulation of medicines, already dubbed ‘the law of the decade’. Comments ranged from highly negative to ones praising the document as a ‘high-quality’ one. The Duma vowed to conduct parliamentary proceedings prior to second reading of the amended draft law.
[FONT=&quot]The draft law on circulation of medicines, emanating from the Public Health Ministry, is supposed to enter into force on September 1, 2010 replacing the obsolescent 1998 federal law on medicines. Already passed on first reading by the Duma on January 29, the document came under severe criticism from manufacturers of pharmaceuticals. Everybody agrees that the current law was ripe for revision, and yet the leitmotif of the RSPP discussion was that the draft law was ‘impossible to enact in its present stage’. The Association of the Russian Pharmaceutical Manufacturers (ARPM) pointed to its lack of harmonization with international regulations and called for a more elaborate conceptual framework of the document. For example, the procedure for determination of price ceiling for essential drug list pharmaceuticals uses the notion of ‘innovative drug’ which is somehow absent from the draft law. According to ARPM head Viktor Dmitriyev, the draft law gives no clear vision of the officials’ and government agencies’ responsibility for decisions taken in the market. ‘Signing the bill into a law in its current state will turn the clock back 5-7 years on the whole industry’, said Executive director of the Association of International Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Vladimir Shipkov, adding that the provision demanding mandatory design measures for clinical trial of drugs already proven safe and effective abroad would simply result in soaring drug prices besides adding 3-7 years to the new drug registration process in Russia. Co-chairman of the Russian Patient League Alexander Saversky voiced concern that the draft law makes no mention of patients. The draft law violates the doctor’s and patient’s right to choose therapy, Saversky said. The Federal Antimonopoly Service called the draft law ‘outright weak’. According to Head of FAS Department for Protection of Competition in the Social Sphere and Trade Timofey Nizhegorodtsev, separating registration from trial procedures may result in losing control over drug quality altogether.

Collocations, grammar, style, everything. Thanks a million. Brybe.
[/FONT]

Judge Brybe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Nicely written.
First of all, allow me to thank you once again for your time and good advice. I must confess the text isn't mine. I only did the translating. May I just trespass once more upon your time a bit? :-D
... it should be, "According to the head of the FAS..."
You don't always put the article before the 'U.S.', do you? Although you do say it. The reason why I ommitted the article before 'FAS' is, I was following the 'no article - U.S.' pattern. Is that wrong? What is the rule? Do you always/preferably type 'the' before acronyms?

{first identify who or what RSPP is}
Stupid me. It stands for the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (Rossiyskiy Soyuz Promyshlennikov i Predprinimateley).

prior to the second reading
Then this part - [FONT=&quot]Already passed on first reading - must be incorrect as well?[/FONT]

[FONT="]leitmotif [COLOR=red]{this word is usually associated with musical themes}[/COLOR] [/FONT][/QUOTE]Oh yes it is, that's why I like it :-D

[QUOTE][FONT="]the procedure for the determination of price ceilings [/FONT]...
I don't understand why 'the determination', honestly.:cry:

Thanks again, I'm the only one at the office who has some English and there's absolutely no one to turn to for constructive criticism. Special thanks for the punctuation, mine is a disaster. Is the translation stylistically uniform, more or less?

Judge Brybe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I hope this makes sense to you. It is a bit confusing.
Not at all. I'm well aware of the rule concerning the use of the definite article with compound toponyms (Russia - THE Russian Federation etc.). My question was more specific. Do you always type the definite article with acronyms for names that require the def. article or do you ommit it in writing on and off?

By the way, what about the following intricate instances of ommitted articles?
Abbas said that he expected U.S. Middle East special envoy George Mitchell to get back to him with further clarification about the talks a week from now. <...>
U.S. National Intelligence Director Dennis C. Blair told the House intelligence committee last week that.
(These come from today's issue of the Washington Post, not from headlines)

Thanks for your time and help.
Brybe

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Possibly:
Comments ranged from highly negative to highly positive.
The essay needs to be made of two or maybe three paragraphs.

:)

Judge Brybe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
to highly positive.
Ah, yes, thank you. But that's not what's in the original.
The essay needs to be made of two or maybe three paragraphs.
This is not an essay. This is a fragment of a newspaper article translated by me for our organization's website. I'll try and reach the author on the phone. He'll probably tell me to get lost, but what do I lose? :-D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gilnetter's suggestion ("ones...ones") and my suggestion do the same thing. I just used fewer words. G's reposting made it into two paragraphs. I suggested that one more might be possible. (It doesn't matter what you call it.)

:)

Judge Brybe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I suggested that one more might be possible. (It doesn't matter what you call it.)
Of course it doesn't. I'm not a lover of lengthy paragraphs myself. But as the text is not originally mine, I suppose I shouldn't take liberties with it.
Muchas gracias, gospoda! You're lifesavers!
Yours, Sincerella (Brybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.