• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

do you understand this

I have translated the following from my native language into English. Could you please tell if it sounds natural in English:

"It was found that most people make at least one mistake a week out of mishearing, whether it is about numbers or instructions or misinterpretations. It is assumed that we hear only the half of what is being said to us, listen to the half of what we have heard, understand the half of what we have listened to and remember just the half of this last half. And it is not that little after all about 3% of what has been said!"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: do you understand this

Quote Originally Posted by snade17 View Post
    I have translated the following from my native language into English. Could you please tell if it sounds natural in English:

"It was found that most people make at least one mistake a week out of mishearing, whether it is about numbers or instructions or misinterpretations. It is assumed that we hear only the half of what is being said to us, listen to the half of what we have heard, understand the half of what we have listened to and remember just the half of this last half. And it is not that little after all about 3% of what has been said!"
    I was doing fine until I got to the bold part. Why not follow the pattern and say "half of what we understand"?

And then I don't understand the blue part. If you say "it's not so little" that sound as though what should come next is a large number - but then you list a small number... and the number you list doesn't match the numbers.

Say: 100%
    Hear: 50%
    Listen: 25%
    Understand: 12.5%
    Remember: 6.25%
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: do you understand this

Thank you very much Barb_D! You were most helpful!