• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

welcome you to our readership

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask about the phrase "welcome you to our readership" in the following context:

I am here today to welcome you to our readership. We broadcast to you from beneath your Earth, and we invite you to broadcast to us from your thoughts and meditations. For broadcasting thoughts to a designated place allows us to communicate. Your thoughts enter our energy field and vibrate to our wavelength, where we become aware of your presence and then tune-in using our receptors to capture your transmission.

Does "readership" mean readers collectively? And does the phrase "welcome you to our readership" mean ntroduce/present you to our readers?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: welcome you to our readership

Source:welcome - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

welcome someone to something
    to greet someone who has come into something or some place.
    I am very pleased to welcome you to Adamsville! They welcomed us to the party and showed us where to put our coats and hats.

And check this link out;http://www.thefreedictionary.com/readership

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Source:welcome - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

welcome someone to something
    to greet someone who has come into something or some place.
    I am very pleased to welcome you to Adamsville! They welcomed us to the party and showed us where to put our coats and hats.

And check this link out;readership - definition of readership by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Thank you, euncu.

Well, I have to admit that I looked up these words in dictionaries before asking and yet I'm not totally sure I understand the intended meaning correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask about the phrase "welcome you to our readership" in the following context:

I am here today to welcome you to our readership. We broadcast to you from beneath your Earth, and we invite you to broadcast to us from your thoughts and meditations. For broadcasting thoughts to a designated place allows us to communicate. Your thoughts enter our energy field and vibrate to our wavelength, where we become aware of your presence and then tune-in using our receptors to capture your transmission.

Does "readership" mean readers collectively? And does the phrase "welcome you to our readership" mean ntroduce/present you to our readers?
    In this context, "readership" means those readers who regularly read the communications; and "welcome you to ..." means that the staff/administrators or whoever is in charge is extending a welcome to a new member as part of this select group.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you, Anglika!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    yet I'm not totally sure I understand the intended meaning correctly.
    Let's say that you had subscribed to an online-magazine and then you had an e-mail from the PR department of the magazine saying that they welcomed you to their readership.

Here, readership is a group name that refers to the total amount of their readers. And you are being greeted as a new reader.
    Last edited by euncu; 09-Feb-2010 at 17:41. Reason: correcting a typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Let's say that you had subscribed to an online-magazine and than you had an e-mail from the PR department of the magazine saying that they welcomed you to their readership.

Here, readership is a group name that refers to the total amount of their readers. And you are being greeted as a new reader.
    Thank you, euncu!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Is anyone else confused by the juxtaposition of "readership" and "broadcast"? We see or hear what is broadcast, but don't we read what is printed or posted?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Is anyone else confused by the juxtaposition of "readership" and "broadcast"? We see or hear what is broadcast, but don't we read what is printed or posted?
    Thank you, Barb_D.

Well, although I'm not a native English speaker, I was confused significantly by the phrse in question, and my initial thought was that "readership" implies readers of the book, not the persons who receive those telepathic messages.