• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 6,707
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi,
What is the correct salutation for husband & wife when both are doctors? What about when only the wife is a doctor?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
What is the correct salutation for husband & wife when both are doctors? What about when only the wife is a doctor?

I have assumed that you are looking for a written salutation. I'm not sure there is an accepted totally correct form as several sources give different answers. However, this is my take on the subject:

1) Both doctors, he is called Alan Smith and she is Jane Smith. The salutation would be "Drs A and J Smith", or sometimes simply "Drs Smith".

2) He's a doctor, she's not: "Dr and Mrs Smith", or "Dr A and Mrs J Smith".

3) She's a doctor, he's not: "Mr and Dr Smith", or Mr A and Dr J Smith".

There may be a doctor on here who will correct this, or certainly have an opinion on how they would expect to see the salutation.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I usually look for sites that have to do with weddings and wedding invitations for questions like this. They have lists of how to address envelopes to every type of couple imaginable, from married couples with different last names to same-sex couples to members of Congress married to royalty... okay, well, maybe not royalty. But virtually every other combination.

If you're not convinced about the above answer (though it looks exactly right to me!), google around for "addressing wedding invitations" and see what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.