1. Unregistered

Use of 'that' in a sentence.

I am not sure when to use the word 'that' in a sentence, and when it is not necessary. For example: They indicated 'that' they will not provide the documents, vs they indicated they will not .... Is there any rule? please help!! thanks

Re: Use of 'that' in a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am not sure when to use the word 'that' in a sentence, and when it is not necessary. For example: They indicated 'that' they will not provide the documents, vs they indicated they will not .... Is there any rule? please help!! thanks
    When the subordinating conjunction "that" introduces a finite clause that is the direct object of a transitive verb of communication [or cognition] , as is the case in your sentence ["indicated"] , and especially when the subject of the direct-object clause is a personal pronoun - as is also the case here ["they"] - it's quite common, and acceptable, for the "that " to be left out.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Use of 'that' in a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Good afternoon. "That" is a nice word that introduces a noun clause. A noun clause is like the word "something." (1)They indicated SOMETHING. (2) What "something"? Answer: THAT THEY WILL NOT PROVIDE THE DOUCMENTS. (3) Usually, "that" is not necessary --especially in speech. (4) They indicated they will not provide the documents. (5) Sometimes if you don't use it, people will be confused and will have to read the sentences several times before they understand. (6) I respectfully suggest that (!!!) you always use it. (I suggest SOMETHING.) Thank you.