Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi,

- -----------without their realzing his identity.

Why is the answer (A)below correct and the other ones are wrong?

a)Secretly determined to break up the drug dealer's ring, the undercover agent joined forces with the local pushers

b)The undercover agent secretly joined forces with local pushers in order to destroy the drug dealer's ring

c)secretly determined to destroy the drug dealer's ring, the local pushers and the undercovered agent joined forces.

d)The undercover agent joined forces with the local pushers and secretly determined to destroy the drug dealer's ring

----------------------------------------------------------------------

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi,

a)Secretly determined to break up the drug dealer's ring, the undercover agent joined forces with the local pushers

b)The undercover agent secretly joined forces with local pushers in order to destroy the drug dealer's ring

c)secretly determined to destroy the drug dealer's ring, the local pushers and the undercovered agent joined forces.

d)The undercover agent joined forces with the local pushers and secretly determined to destroy the drug dealer's ring

***NOT A TEACHER***Taghavi, good morning. Thank you for telling us the correct answer!!! Now maybe I can help you a tiny bit. If I am correct, the biggest problem is that b, c, and d say that the pushers joined the agent in a mutual desire to destroy the drug ring!!! Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
***NOT A TEACHER***Taghavi, good morning. Thank you for telling us the correct answer!!! Now maybe I can help you a tiny bit. If I am correct, the biggest problem is that b, c, and d say that the pushers joined the agent in a mutual desire to destroy the drug ring!!! Thank you.

I'd agree with that.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, yet I haven't understood why?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Well, yet I haven't understood why?
It is extremely unlikely that the drug pushers would knowingly join forces with a policeman to destroy the drug dealer's ring.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The main aim for raising such a question is the fact that indicating the difference of collocial and grammatical forms between "destroy" and "break up", "in order to" and "to", the place of an adverb, "secretly", and the rest of the sentence order. However, I would like to know the reason of occuring inacceptable forms in the given sentences.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi,

***NOT A TEACHER***Good morning. If I understand you, you want a detailed analysis of each sentence. Well, may I give you my take on b? (I'll leave c and d to other posters.) (1) This sentence is "wrong" because it says that the agent and the pushers joined together in order to destroy the ring. Of course, this is not true. The pushers don't want to destroy the ring. (2) You expressed concern about the adverb "secretly." Well, it modifies "joined." It implies that the pushers did not know he was an agent. They thought he was just another pusher who wanted to join them. (3) "In order to destroy" is just a stronger way to say "to destroy." Usually (not always!), you can leave out "in order" and it won't make any difference. I'm sure there are some articles in the "search box" at this website and on the Web. I think that sentence b does not need the "in order." (4) Finally, the "his identity" part is really confusing. In the correct answer (a), it is obvious that "his" refers to the agent. In b, you could interpret "his identity" as referring to the agent or even the drug dealer. It's not clear. Grammatically speaking, there's no way to be certain because b) is so "badly" written. (5) Finally "their realizing" in b) is not clear. Who is "their"? Of course, we know from a) that "their" refers to the pushers. But in b) "their" could possibly refer to the pushers AND the agent. Well, if I did not give you what you were seeking, please post again with a specific question about one sentence that bothers you. Many wonderful teachers at this site wll be delighted to give their advice. Have a nice day!!!

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
***NOT A TEACHER***Good morning. If I understand you, you want a detailed analysis of each sentence. Well, may I give you my take on b? (I'll leave c and d to other posters.) (1) This sentence is "wrong" because it says that the agent and the pushers joined together in order to destroy the ring. Of course, this is not true. The pushers don't want to destroy the ring. (2) You expressed concern about the adverb "secretly." Well, it modifies "joined." It implies that the pushers did not know he was an agent. They thought he was just another pusher who wanted to join them. (3) "In order to destroy" is just a stronger way to say "to destroy." Usually (not always!), you can leave out "in order" and it won't make any difference. I'm sure there are some articles in the "search box" at this website and on the Web. I think that sentence b does not need the "in order." (4) Finally, the "his identity" part is really confusing. In the correct answer (a), it is obvious that "his" refers to the agent. In b, you could interpret "his identity" as referring to the agent or even the drug dealer. It's not clear. Grammatically speaking, there's no way to be certain because b) is so "badly" written. (5) Finally "their realizing" in b) is not clear. Who is "their"? Of course, we know from a) that "their" refers to the pushers. But in b) "their" could possibly refer to the pushers AND the agent. Well, if I did not give you what you were seeking, please post again with a specific question about one sentence that bothers you. Many wonderful teachers at this site wll be delighted to give their advice. Have a nice day!!!
I discovered why the other options are wrong;

"c" is wrong because it doesn't mention the perfect idiom of "join forces with sb".
"d" is also wrong, because it first does sth and then determines or makes a desicion on it.
And "b'' is wrong too as you explained above. "The" in local pushers has been eliminated.

Thank you very much.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I discovered why the other options are wrong;

"c" is wrong because it doesn't mention the perfect idiom of "join forces with sb".
"d" is also wrong, because it first does sth and then determines or makes a desicion on it.
And "b'' is wrong too as you explained above. "The" in local pushers has been eliminated.

Thank you very much.
***NOT A TEACHER***Thank you very much for letting us know the reasons. You are certainly learning perfect English. I suspect that many (most?) speakers here in the States would not have been able to identify those mistakes pointed out by you. I know that I wasn't!!! Thank you.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
***NOT A TEACHER***Thank you very much for letting us know the reasons. You are certainly learning perfect English. I suspect that many (most?) speakers here in the States would not have been able to identify those mistakes pointed out by you. I know that I wasn't!!! Thank you.
You're welcome. I appreciated your responsibility for following this thread; that was a kind of positive feedback for me.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.