Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When I last went to England I found a job at a construction site in Birmingham as a translator. One of my many bosses (I was an absolute zero in the hierarchy) came from Manchester. At first, I had problems understanding anything of what he said - I was fed on American accent all my life. I had to get used to him pronouncing 'rush' like 'bush'. But what struck me most was how he asked some questions:
"Have you anything to do?"
"Have you a smoke?"
I knew it from books, but I didn't expect anyone would actually say that. Can you please tell me if it's possible to hear it anywhere in America/Australia and elsewhere in the UK?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
When I last went to England I found a job at a construction site in Birmingham as a translator. One of my many bosses (I was an absolute zero in the hierarchy) came from Manchester. At first, I had problems understanding anything of what he said - I was fed on American accent all my life. I had to get used to him pronouncing 'rush' like 'bush'. But what struck me most was how he asked some questions:
"Have you a smoke?"
I knew it from books, but I didn't expect anyone would actually say that. Can you please tell me if it's possible to hear it anywhere in America/Australia and elsewhere in the UK?
"Have you a smoke?"
I would say that this is a quite usual way to ask, in many parts of the UK.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That's good to know. I was taught 'do you have' and 'have you got' are in use almost only.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That's good to know. I was taught 'do you have' and 'have you got' are in use almost only. :cross:

I was taught that 'do you have' and 'have you got' are almost the only ones (in use)(used). :tick: but a bit awkward

I was taught that 'do you have' or 'have you got' are almost always used. :tick: And it is much more natural the one just above.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Have you a smoke?"
***NOT A TEACHER***(1) Probably most Americans would ask, "Do you have anything to do?" If the speaker is being sarcastic (for example. the boss sees a worker sitting around reading a magazine), s/he would ask, "DON'T you have anything to do?" (2) Do you have a smoke/cigarette? Can you spare a cigarette? Thank you.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But would anyone in the US say 'have you' without 'got' or instead of 'do you have'? Or would people look in a strange manner at me if I said that?

pennyy

Member Type
Other
I think Americans always use 'Do you have ... ?' I guess 'Have you ...?' is strictly British.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think Americans always use 'Do you have ... ?' I guess 'Have you ...?' is strictly British.

And even then, I'd still have a strange look on my face if someone asked me 'have you a ___.?'

I've heard it used in a kind of mocking/derogatory way in writing: 'Have you no shame, woman?', 'Have you no brains, fool?' I've never heard anyone use it as a question like described. Perhaps it's stricly English?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you any Grey Poupon?
This was a line in a famous commercial when one limousine pulls up next to another and a well-bred voice coming from one limo asks the occupant of the other limo for this type of mustard. The implication was the rich, well-bred people enjoyed this type of mustard. I can't remember if the voice had a British accent or not, but I bet it did.

In the US, if you said "Have you a pen?" no one would be confused about your meaning, but we wouldn't say it that way ourselves.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you all very much. It clears things up. But, digging the topic deeper, how's about localisation and usage intensity of 'do you have' and 'have you got'?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Have you any Grey Poupon?
This was a line in a famous commercial when one limousine pulls up next to another and a well-bred voice coming from one limo asks the occupant of the other limo for this type of mustard. The implication was the rich, well-bred people enjoyed this type of mustard. I can't remember if the voice had a British accent or not, but I bet it did.

In the US, if you said "Have you a pen?" no one would be confused about your meaning, but we wouldn't say it that way ourselves.

Thank you! This makes me understand a scene in the film Wayne's World now. It made no sense before.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all very much. It clears things up. But, digging the topic deeper, how's about localisation and usage intensity of 'do you have' and 'have you got'?
***NOT A TEACHER***I, of course, do not know for sure, but I suspect that no one in the States would think it strange if you asked either "Excuse me, do you have the time?" or "Have you got the time?" But if you said, "Have you the time?" it would sound a bit -- only a bit -- unusual. And more educated people would instantly identify you as a speaker of British English -- perhaps. I am being very tentative because one must be very cautious (and humble) when discussing language -- any language. Thank you.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Have you a smoke?"
***NOT A TEACHER***I just remembered something else that you might want to know. Americans often ( in conversation) say "got to" instead of "have to." But they say the two words fast. It sounds something like: Sorry. I don't have any more time to talk with you. I GOTTA go now. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.