• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

irrespective/on account of/owing to/to say nothing of/not to mention/not to speak of/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Irrespective of frequency, the spee of radio walves through the atmosphere remains constant.

According to this doctrine, it must be resolved wholly into the absolute, irrespective will of God.

irrespective = without regard for conditions, circumstances, or consequences; unbiased; independent; impartial

The picnic was held in the gym on account of the rain.

On account of the rapidly increasing, temperature towards the interior, the degree of ionization of the solar atoms also increases towards the solar centre.

on account of = by reason of; because of; as a result of

Owing to the fact that they need not carry their own oxidizer, jet engines are finding some application in guided missiles.

There is a scarcity of fruit owing to the rain.

I could not come owing to another engagement.

owing to = because of; on account on

Not all of the aircraft suitable for high-speed flight to say nothing of helicopters.

Photography has become an effective tool in the study of meteors to say nothing of radar.

Meteors represent a definite hazard to rocker ships, for even the smallest meteoric particles are capable of penetrating the skin of such a vehicle to say nothing of large one.

Sally takes singing and dancing lessons to say nothing of swimming and tennis lessons.

to say nothing of = in addition to, besides what's already been said

The use of stratosphere rockets, not to mention artificial Earth satellites, presents a most promising method for the study of the upper layers of the atmosphere.

Dave is handsome and smart not to mention being a good athlete.

They have three fine sons, not to speak of their two lovely daughters.

not to mention = not to speak of or to say nothing of; without ever needing to speak of; in addition to; besides

The assumption of Bohrís theory that we can determine precisely the location and speed of individual particles at all times holds true for microscopic objects, but it does not hold true for minute, submicroscopic particles.

hold true = be valid, apply

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: irrespective/on account of/owing to/to say nothing of/not to mention/not to speak

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Irrespective of frequency, the speed of radio waves through the atmosphere remains constant.

According to this doctrine, it must be resolved wholly into the absolute, irrespective will of God.
    The decision by the committee to place him at the top is totally irrespective of any merit.

irrespective = without regard for conditions, circumstances, or consequences; unbiased; independent; impartial

The picnic was held in the gym on account of the rain.

On account of the rapidly increasing, temperature towards the interior, the degree of ionization of the solar atoms also increases towards the solar centre.

on account of = by reason of; because of; as a result of

Owing to the fact that they need not carry their own oxidizer, jet engines are finding some/alternative application in guided missiles.

There is a scarcity of fruit owing to the rain.

I could not come owing to another engagement.

owing to = because of; on account on

Not all of the aircrafts are suitable for high-speed flight to say nothing of helicopters which of course find many other utilities in war.

Photography has become an effective tool in the study of meteors to say nothing of radar.

Meteors represent a definite hazard to rocker ships, for even the smallest meteoric particles are capable of penetrating the skin of such a vehicle to say nothing of large one.

Sally takes singing and dancing lessons to say nothing of swimming and tennis lessons.

to say nothing of = in addition to, besides what's already been said

The use of stratosphere rockets, not to mention artificial Earth satellites, presents a most promising method for the study of the upper layers of the atmosphere.

Dave is handsome and smart not to mention being a good athlete.

They have three fine sons, not to speak of their two lovely daughters.

not to mention = not to speak of or to say nothing of; without ever needing to speak of; in addition to; besides

The assumption of Bohr’s theory that we can determine precisely the location and speed of individual particles at all times holds true for microscopic objects, but it does not hold true/not for minute, submicroscopic particles. (underlined expression can be replaced by a single word 'not'

hold true = be valid, apply

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All are fine.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 11-Feb-2010 at 06:40.