Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #1

    "Is" - future or present in this context

    For the following contexts:

    There are so many time slots to choose from.
    In fact, there is a class tomorrow.
    ("Is" here should be referring to the present situation, shouldn't it?)

    He is on a road trip tomorrow. ("Is" here refers to the future state of being)

    Thank you.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,620
    #2

    Re: "Is" - future or present in this context

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    For the following contexts:

    There are so many time slots to choose from.
    In fact, there is a class tomorrow.
    ("Is" here should be referring to the present situation, shouldn't it?)

    He is on a road trip tomorrow. ("Is" here refers to the future state of being)

    Thank you.
    Both examples refer to scheduled future events.


    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 6
    #3

    Re: "Is" - future or present in this context

    I agree with the first - "There is a class tomorrow."
    But I dislike the sentence "He is on a road trip tomorrow." It sounds like an unnatural way to say it. I would say "He is going on a road trip tomorrow." or "He will be on a road trip tomorrow."

    So the future or progressive...

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,620
    #4

    Re: "Is" - future or present in this context

    Quote Originally Posted by blingenfelter View Post
    I agree with the first - "There is a class tomorrow."
    But I dislike the sentence "He is on a road trip tomorrow." It sounds like an unnatural way to say it. I would say "He is going on a road trip tomorrow." or "He will be on a road trip tomorrow."

    So the future or progressive...
    I disagree about its being unnatural, consider: "What's John doing tomorrow?" "John? Oh he's on a road trip tomorrow".
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 13-Feb-2010 at 09:36.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #5

    Re: "Is" - future or present in this context

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Both examples refer to scheduled future events.
    But, I perceive a difference.

    There is (talking about right now) a class tomorrow/ Monday class.

    He is (not talking about right now but the future) on a road trip tomorrow/ Monday.


    Though both refer to a future event - Monday class/ road trip tomorrow, "is" in the first example serves the same function as "is" in "This/There is an apple here" i.e. referring to the present situation. "Is" in the second case refers to what will be.

    I hope you understand what I trying to say.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: "Is" - future or present in this context

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    But, I perceive a difference.

    There is (talking about right now) a class tomorrow/ Monday class.

    He is (not talking about right now but the future) on a road trip tomorrow/ Monday.


    Though both refer to a future event - Monday class/ road trip tomorrow, "is" in the first example serves the same function as "is" in "This/There is an apple here" i.e. referring to the present situation. "Is" in the second case refers to what will be.

    I hope you understand what I trying to say.
    Yes, you can make that distinction if you want to, but what are the implications?


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #7

    Re: "Is" - future or present in this context

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, you can make that distinction if you want to, but what are the implications?
    There's no implication.

    That's all I needed to hear. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Future Forms (Will/ present continuous/ going to)
    By maral55 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2009, 17:39
  2. the present progressive with future meaning
    By soleiljy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2007, 19:34
  3. My own theory on the present perfect tense
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2007, 22:29
  4. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 01:56
  5. Present continuous in a future context
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2003, 23:39

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •