1. Unregistered

Question Odd & Even

Do we have odd and even days in a week? If yes, which days are odd and which days are even?

Re: Odd & Even

(Not a teacher)

No, because most people don't even agree which day comes first - Sunday, or Monday. I guess if you decided that Monday was the first day of the week, you could make them odd and even, but it isn't an established thing and if you said to someone, "I'm going to the gym every even day of the week", they wouldn't know whether it was Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (Sunday the first day of the week); or Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (Monday the first day of the week).

There are odd and even days insofar as dates are concerned - Today is an odd day because it's the 11th.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The only uses off odd and even days that I have come across in English refer to the dates:
    It's the season of odd/even parking on The Observer Review
    http://pesca.ca/documents/lawn_watering.pdf (pdf)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    No, because most people don't even agree which day comes first - Sunday, or Monday. ...
    (Online calendars, and mobile phones' 'calendar' function, all allow you to choose the day when a week starts.)

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    (Online calendars, and mobile phones' 'calendar' function, all allow you to choose the day when a week starts.)

b
    In France the week starts on Monday, but they don't count days as being odd or even. They do however count dates and weeks as being odd and even, "paire" or "impaire".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Oh well, if you want to bring other languages into it, why not consider Potuguese? The've even got the numbers written in their weekday names. But they are ordinals - 'second', 'third' etc. Perhaps a native speaker of Portuguese would tell us whether they regard segunda, quarta and sexta as 'even'; I doubt it.

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Oh well, if you want to bring other languages into it, why not consider Potuguese? The've even got the numbers written in their weekday names. But they are ordinals - 'second', 'third' etc. Perhaps a native speaker of Portuguese would tell us whether they regard segunda, quarta and sexta as 'even'; I doubt it.

b
    I asked my fiancée, and she said no, they don't refer to days as odd or even, despite them being numbered. She is Brazilian.

She also said that she, and probably many others, consider(s) Monday as the first day of the week, despite it being called segunda (second).