Colour idioms

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsbali

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

I found a very good exercise full of colour idioms for my pupils, but I do not know every solution for it. I marked it with points where I'm looking for a "colour" word in the sentence. I would also appreciate if you could add the meaning, too.

"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that ... .... (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich ...neck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good ...digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the ...-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the ...mine and I'll get the shaft."

Thanks a lot,

Balázs.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

I found a very good exercise full of colour idioms for my pupils, but I do not know every solution for it. I marked it with points where I'm looking for a "colour" word in the sentence. I would also appreciate if you could add the meaning, too.

"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that ... .... (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich ...neck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good ...digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the ...-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the ...mine and I'll get the shaft."

Thanks a lot,

Balázs.
"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that black gold (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich redneck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good gold digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the red-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the goldmine and I'll get the shaft."

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about:
The trouble is I am just a greenhorn, and I am leery of all the red tape that might be involved.
:)

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
In the original posting, green house should be greenhouse. It is not a house which happens to be the colour green.

Not a teacher.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm tickled pink to see so many color idioms.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.