• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

moaned

I wonder why Cindy moaned when they will be lucky to find a good spot on the beach.

"Hurry up, Bobby?" Cindy shouted.
    "We're going to miss the prime suntanning hours."
    Seeing that her little brother was not coming down the stairs down the stairs,
    Cindy went out to help her parents load the car.
    The trunk was packed with a cooler full of food and cold drinks, a blanket, beach ball, fold-up chairs, and plenty of suntan oil.
    "Mom," Cindy moaned, "Thanks to Bobby we'll be lucky to find a good spot on the beach." "OK, OK," Mom said, "I'll go see what's taking so long."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: moaned

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I wonder why Cindy moaned when they will be lucky to find a good spot on the beach.

"Hurry up, Bobby?" Cindy shouted.
    "We're going to miss the prime suntanning hours."
    Seeing that her little brother was not coming down the stairs down the stairs,
    Cindy went out to help her parents load the car.
    The trunk was packed with a cooler full of food and cold drinks, a blanket, beach ball, fold-up chairs, and plenty of suntan oil.
    "Mom," Cindy moaned, "Thanks to Bobby we'll be lucky to find a good spot on the beach." "OK, OK," Mom said, "I'll go see what's taking so long."

Cindy moaned because what she said could (and maybe should) have been written as,

"Mom," Cindy moaned, "Thanks to Bobby we'll be lucky if we find a good spot on the beach." "OK, OK," Mom said, "I'll go see what's taking so long."
    Last edited by buggles; 14-Feb-2010 at 00:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: moaned

They are now so late in leaving that finding a good spot will take good luck.

(What a whiner!)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.