Canada
Current Location
Canada
re: Is "escape" a linking verb?

further to what the previous two posters said
Also, I started my post a long time ago, so I'll continue. :shock:

1) Unhurt, he managed to escape.
2) He managed to escape unhurt.

I do not think the two sentences mean the same thing. I agree.

In #1, there is an implied 'Being', is there not? yes, or an implied 'Because he was'
And the sentence would be better with one of the two additions.

1) (Because he was)(Being) unhurt, he managed to escape.
[Those who were (significantly) injured could not escape.]

2) He managed to escape unhurt. (= He managed to escape without injury.)

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Well I can - just - after the addition of 'Being'. But it depends on a context that has already defined 'unhurt' as meaning 'sound in wind and limb'. If, for example, A and B have been captured and B - in the initial attempt to avoid capture - had sprained his ankle then 'Being unhurt, A was able to escape' would make sense to me. Perhaps just 'Unhurt, A escaped' sounds a bit iffy though. ;-)

b

Thanks guys for your comments. Yes, #1 can mean something. After several attempts at dangerous break-outs, he still managed remain unhurt, which enabled him to escape eventually. That is not what the original sentence conveys.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
1. He arrived home safely. :tick:
2. He arrived home safe and sound. :tick:
3. He arrived home safe. :?:

Little bit off-track but still linking verbs. Quirk put that :?: after #3. How can you account for the grammaticality of the three sentences?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***NOT A TEACHER***As I type this, 340 members and guests have read this thread, showing that many people seek an informed answer. Since no one else has summarized our findings, may I? (1) the original poster wrote a sentence similar to "Tom escaped unhurt." (2) We are mostly agreed that "escape" is a so-called "quasi copula." (3) That is, without "unhurt," it retains its full verbal force. (4) With "unhurt," it clearly refers to "Tom." (5)Some of us even agree with some eminent grammarians who assert that the so-called adjective "unhurt" is actually being used in an adverbial sense (because it is optional. A "real" adjective with a "real" copula cannot be deleted: Tom is courteous. We need the "courteous" to make sense out of the sentence. ) (6) As far as a sentence such as "Unhurt, Tom escaped," perhaps many of us agree that this is a "real" adjective that modifies "Tom." (7) I am sure that I express the gratitude of many readers of this thread to the nice people who have contributed their posts. Thank you for educating me and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.