Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
On average/on the average/on an average---Are these three phrases interchangeable in usage? Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not for me- if you have an article, you should usually have a noun with it- on an average day, etc.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not for me- if you have an article, you should usually have a noun with it- on an average day, etc.

Thank you. I have searched online and a few native speakers share the same view as yours. But one dictionary seems to say: on the average=on an average and can be used independently to mean 'usually':

Average | Definition of Average at Dictionary.com:

—Idiom 15.on the or an average, usually; typically: She can read 50 pages an hour, on the average.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you. I have searched online and a few native speakers share the same view as yours. But one dictionary seems to say: on the average=on an average and can be used independently to mean 'usually':

Average | Definition of Average at Dictionary.com:

—Idiom 15.on the or an average, usually; typically: She can read 50 pages an hour, on the average.
Where I come from, we say "on average" in this context - on average.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Where I come from, we say "on average" in this context - on average.

Thank you. I have searched on line and found 'on average' is indeed more frequently adopted than 'on the average' and 'on an average'.

I assume 'on an average' is quite AE:
http://askville.amazon.com/average-cost-replace-broken-LCD-screen-digital-camera/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2641803
"On an average how much would it cost to replace a broken LCD screen on a digital camera ?"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/On_an_average_how_much_does_each_team_make_for_winning_or_losing_the_Super_Bowl
On an average how much does each team make for winning or losing the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.