• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

because of/due to

Please tell me, what (because of or due to) sounds better in this case? Thank you!

1) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute because of the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.

2) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute due to the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: because of/due to

I might prefer due to, but either is OK.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Some grammarians object to the use of "due to" to mean "because of" - the original meaning of "due to" is "caused by" - so if you want to play it safe, write "because of."

My personal view is that "due to" is a practical way of saying "because of," and should be considered correct English.

I'm not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by sergtab View Post
    Please tell me, what (because of or due to) sounds better in this case? Thank you!

1) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute because of the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.

2) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute due to the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.
    ***NOT A TEACHER***May I comment on your nice question? Yes, both are acceptable nowadays. But a few teachers say that there is difference: "due" is technically an adjective. Thus: Sorry, boss. My lateness to work is DUE (to traffic problems). = Lateness + is (linking verb) + due (adjective). "Because of " is a preposition: Sorry, boss. I arrived late (because of traffic problems). The prepositional phrase modifies the verb. In reality, few people use "due" that way. They just use "due to" as a preposition. Even English tests for learners often accept this. Some careful writers, however, try to follow the rule. So for "perfect" English, your sentence should be something like: The especially acute problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia + is + due (to the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previouly used effective pesticides.) In reality, probably only the strictest teacher would object to either of your nice sentences. Have a nice day.