Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:) What is the proper way to use the following:

The word: 1960s.

The African American woman who created this program in the late 1960s for people with disabilities did an outstanding job.

Do you spell 1960s:

1960s ?

or

1960's ?
:-|
Thanks

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I think both are acceptable; it depends on the style guide. Just try to be consistent.

I'm not a teacher.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

The African American woman who created this program in the late 1960s for people with disabilities did an outstanding job.

Do you spell 1960s:

1960s ?

or

1960's ?
Thanks

No apostrophe, apostrophes are for contractions and to indicate possession. 1960s is neither.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think both are acceptable; it depends on the style guide. Just try to be consistent.
I agree that both are used. Having said that, I agree with bhaisahab. I prefer 1960s.
:)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Do you spell 1960s:

1960s ?

or

1960's ?
Thanks
***NOT A TEACHER***Good afternoon. Some of us "mature" (older) persons prefer " 1960's " because that's how we were taught. I notice that THE NEW YORK TIMES (at least in its 1999 edition of suggestions to reporters) also likes the apostrophe. Nevertheless, unless your teacher says otherwise, it would probably be more in tune with the times to drop the apostrophe. Thank you.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess there might be a motta like "Think global", it is 23:04 pm in Turkey ;-)
I treat the people I answer with courtesy and respect. I assume that they are mature people. They know from my post that I am living in the United States. They understand that there may be a time difference. Of course, if I should ever answer you, as I am now doing, I shall not use that greeting to you since you find it so offensive. Thank you.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess there might be a motta like "Think global", it is 23:04 pm in Turkey ;-)
There's a reason it's called the World Wide Web.
;-)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I treat the people I answer with courtesy and respect. I assume that they are mature people. They know from my post that I am living in the United States. They understand that there may be a time difference. Of course, if I should ever answer you, as I am now doing, I shall not use that greeting to you since you find it so offensive. Thank you.

I guess, I'm doomed to be misunderstood! I am aware of the time difference, and I didn't meant to offend you, and "if you should ever answer me, as you have just done, you are free to use that greeting to me since I don't find it so offensive," I take it as a jocular usage.

Nowadays, everyone on the forums seems so touchy to me, everyone is easily offended for any reasons or (as a second option) something's wrong with me.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I think that to preface a post with good moring, good afternoon is very nice. When I see it, I look at the location of the person posting, and it makes me more aware of the global scope of this site.

I am also not a teacher.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What is wrong with you guys?. Yes, I was aware where TheParser was, as well as I knew about time differences, but at that time of the night , it just was a bit surprising to see that , and I decided to join the tread to add a bit of humour. And, then some were offended and some took me for a fool not knowing about time differences.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:popcorn::icecream:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Nowadays, everyone on the forums seems so touchy to me, everyone is easily offended for any reasons or (as a second option) something's wrong with me.

Wires can get a bit crossed on forums, but we are dealing with communications that were unheard of only a few years ago and, like everything human, it easily gets a bit complex and messy. Reading this as an outsider to the thread, it is clear that nobody intended anything worse than politeness and/or friendliness, but somehow it drifted. We're still dealing with pretty new territory. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.