Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Someone is about to say to somebody something better not to tell. A friend of him jabs his spine like a dagger. The pain refrains him to tell more. But he says:

Drat the dark! (somebody knows what does "Drat the dark mean?) I'll pass pink for a tenday from a bruised kidney

Please, what's the meaning of "pass the pink"?

Thank You

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
**Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker**

I can only guess;

Thanks to that jab, the area of his flesh that covers his kidneys becomes blue and after ten days, the bruise will be better and its color will turn to pink.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By "I'll pass pink" he might have meant that he was injured and would have blood in his urine.

:)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
By "I'll pass pink" he might have meant that he was injured and would have blood in his urine.

Since I didn't know the meaning of this particular idiom (if it is one), I made a guess. So you may be right but as far as I know the color pink is always (or mostly) associated with being healthy in English.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since I didn't know the meaning of this particular idiom (if it is one), I made a guess. So you may be right but as far as I know the color pink is always (or mostly) associated with being healthy in English.
That is true, but the word "pass" suggests to me something like the elimination of kidney stones. (Ouch!)

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Someone is about to say to somebody something better not to tell. A friend of him jabs his spine like a dagger. The pain[STRIKE] refrains[/STRIKE] prevents him [STRIKE]to tell more[/STRIKE] from saying much. But he says:

Drat the dark! (somebody knows what does "Drat the dark mean?) I'll pass pink for [STRIKE]a tenday[/STRIKE] a fortnight from a bruised kidney

Please, what's the meaning of "pass the pink"?

Thank You

Drat the dark = polite form of Damn the dark

Pass the pink = pass urine with blood in it.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Someone is about to say something that he shouldn't say.
Or:
Someone is about to say something that it would be better that he didn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.