Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

What’s she done?” I’m all but lame from the bite on my leg.

She was lame in one leg.

He has a lame shoulder.

lame = disabled in the feet or legs

He is lame under the hat.

If you happen to let child fall and lame it.

lame (v) = cripple

Such a government, he argues, perpetually teetering on the brink of defeat and another election, would be nothing more than a lame duck.

In his last year of his tenure, President Bush has become a lame duck thanks to obstructionist Democrats in the Congress.

lame duck = a political official who has lost power due to term limit or losing the vote

I flew a lame duck profile so I didnt get shot down by friendly fire

lame duck = a flight profile which a plane flies if it has mechanical problems in time of excercise or war.

What if he’s kept tied up ?

tie up = secure with or as if with ropes

Just because you own half the c ounty doesn’t mean you have the power to run the rest of us!

run = direct or control; projects, businesses, etc

For 23 years I’ve been dying to tell you what I’ve thought of you, but being a Christian woman, I can’t say it!

dying to do something = long greatly to do something

What’s wrong with that? :: I just think its unstructured.

Marslen-Wilson (1975) proposes an unstructured , fully interactive model of comprehension.

The building of large databases, whether unstructured (like text-archives) or structured (like many historical databases) has been a major preoccupation of this period.

Merrill Lynch in 1998 cited estimates that as much as 80% of all potentially usable business information originates in unstructured form.
unstructered = lacking a definite structure or organization; not formally organized or systematized (it is not clear, and thus it is hard to work with)
Believe me; It’s nothing I make a habit of

make a habit of = build a habit of (to start to do it often or on a regular basis, such as every other day)

Would it distract you if I put on some music?

distruct = draw someone's attention away from something; disturb in mind or make uneasy or cause to be worried or alarmed

What about your father? :: It’s just a made-up story about him.

made up = not true; having been fabricated; invented

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

What’s she done?” I’m all but lame from the bite on my leg. I should have thought a bite on the leg would definitely make you lame.

She was lame in one leg.

He has a lame shoulder. A shoulder is neither a leg nor a foot, so it cannot be lame.

lame = disabled in the feet or legs

[STRIKE]He is lame under the hat.
[/STRIKE]

If you happen to let child fall and lame it. Incomplete sentence

lame (v) = cripple

Such a government, he argues, perpetually teetering on the brink of defeat and another election, would be nothing more than a lame duck.

In his last year of his tenure, President Bush has become a lame duck thanks to obstructionist Democrats in the Congress.

lame duck = • noun 1 an ineffectual or unsuccessful person or thing; 2 a political official who has lost power due to term limit or losing the vote

I flew a lame duck profile so I didnt get shot down by friendly fire

lame duck = a flight profile which a plane flies as if it has mechanical problems in time of exercise or war.

What if he’s kept tied up ?

tie up = secure with or as if with ropes Unable to proceed due to other commitments

Just because you own half the c ounty doesn’t mean you have the power to run the rest of us!

run = direct or control; projects, businesses, etc

For 23 years I’ve been dying to tell you what I’ve thought of you, but being a Christian woman, I can’t say it!

dying to do something = long greatly to do something

What’s wrong with that? :: I just think it's unstructured.

Marslen-Wilson (1975) proposes an unstructured , fully interactive model of comprehension.

The building of large databases, whether unstructured (like text-archives) or structured (like many historical databases) has been a major preoccupation of this period.

Merrill Lynch in 1998 cited estimates that as much as 80% of all potentially usable business information originates in unstructured form.
unstructered = lacking a definite structure or organization; not formally organized or systematized (it is not clear, and thus it is hard to work with)
Believe me; It’s nothing I make a habit of

make a habit of = build a habit of (to start to do it often or on a regular basis, such as every other day)

Would it distract you if I put on some music?

distruct = draw someone's attention away from something;[STRIKE] disturb in mind or make uneasy or cause to be worried or alarmed[/STRIKE]

What about your father? :: It’s just a made-up story about him.

made up = not true; having been fabricated; invented

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.