Building Sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

brackets

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everyone,

I am preparing a written test about processes in the building sector . This is a shallow desciption about foundation works. I would apreciate your advices and constructive comments.

Before the excavation of the space where the basement will be placed, it is possible to use a pile screen as a supporting structure. This retaining wall must be anchored to the soil by tiebacks or soil anchors. Once the whole basement space has been excavated, two kinds of foundation can be used. shallow foundations (such as spread footings, foundation walls, etc.) or deep foundations (concrete, steel or wood piles). A drainage system is required in the outer side of a retaining wall, placing an open drainage pipe in the bottom of the trench and backfilling it with gravel. A conveniently protected asphalt membrane sticked to the wall will ensure it watertighness. An inner wythe in front of the piles screen and a draining channel inthe air space will evacuate eventual water seeping or condensation. A concrete ground slab with a base course of gravel can be placed directly on the compacted soil when building a basement parking. However, for different uses, a crawl space under the first floor system will be a better option.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am preparing a written test about processes in the building sector . This is a shallow desciption about foundation works. I would apreciate your advice[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] and constructive comments.
I think you mean the construction industry (instead of the building sector).

:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This retaining wall must be anchored to the soil by tiebacks or soil anchors. Once the whole basement space has been excavated, two kinds of foundation can be used: shallow foundations (such as spread footings, foundation walls, etc.) or deep foundations (concrete, steel or wood piles). A drainage system is required in the outer side of a retaining wall, placing an open drainage pipe in the bottom of the trench and backfilling it with gravel. A conveniently protected asphalt membrane affixed to the wall will ensure that it is watertight. An inner wythe in front of the piles screen and a draining channel inthe air space will evacuate eventual water seepage or condensation. A concrete ground slab with a base course of gravel can be placed directly on the compacted soil when building a basement parking. However, for different uses, a crawl space under the first floor system would be a better option.

brackets

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you Ronbee and Gillnetter for your help,

Ronbee:

The test is adressed to "Assistants in the buildings sector", I don't really know if the expression is correct or not.

Gillnetter:

By "basement parking" I mean a basement where all the users of the building can park their cars. Is it right?

Thank you again.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since you are talking about construction, I suggest sticking with construction industry. Also, instead of shallow description, I think you mean brief description. Finally, it should be a basement parking garage.

(Please post any revisions in a separate post.)

Status
Not open for further replies.