Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 8
    #1

    is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    Could anyone please tell me which one of the following is the most perfect?
    I am beat.
    I am beaten.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,912
    #2

    Re: is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    It depends on the meaning:
    I am beat = I am very tired
    I am beaten = I have lost (or hit repeatedly)
    (There may be other interpretations)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #3

    Re: is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    I am beaten is correct. I am beat is incorrect.
    To Beat - Irregular Verb Definition - UsingEnglish.com
    I am not a teacher and can be wrong.
    edit: sorry for doubling. And for not knowing the ambiguity.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,912
    #4

    Re: is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    Beat can be an adjective:
    ADJECTIVE:
    Informal Worn-out; fatigued.
    beat - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #5

    Re: is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    I am beaten is correct. I am beat is incorrect.
    To Beat - Irregular Verb Definition - UsingEnglish.com
    I am not a teacher and can be wrong.
    edit: sorry for doubling. And for not knowing the ambiguity.
    ***NOT A TEACHER***mmasny, good afternoon. I know from your other posts that you are eager to understand English in all its varieties. Here in the United States, people really do say, "I'm beat" to mean they are tired. So I guess we can classify it as "correct." More important, however, is something I think you want to know: Americans often use "beat" instead of "beaten" when they talk about sports and business. For example, the Dodgers (baseball team) was beat last night by...; Come to our store, our prices can't be beat!!! Maybe Americans don't want to use "beaten" in those areas because it would sound as if someone had beaten them with a stick!!! Have a nice day.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #6

    Re: is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER***mmasny, good afternoon. I know from your other posts that you are eager to understand English in all its varieties. Here in the United States, people really do say, "I'm beat" to mean they are tired. So I guess we can classify it as "correct." More important, however, is something I think you want to know: Americans often use "beat" instead of "beaten" when they talk about sports and business. For example, the Dodgers (baseball team) was beat last night by...; Come to our store, our prices can't be beat!!! Maybe Americans don't want to use "beaten" in those areas because it would sound as if someone had beaten them with a stick!!! Have a nice day.
    Thank you very much! Now, I remember I actually heard it this way. Very good to have it explained!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #7

    Re: is it I am beat or I am beaten?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Thank you very much! Now, I remember I actually heard it this way. Very good to have it explained!
    I thank YOU for your kind note.

Similar Threads

  1. drive to beat everyone
    By Tinkerbell in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2009, 16:23
  2. on the beat
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2009, 01:29
  3. beat the brains out
    By beeja in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2007, 10:39
  4. Beat
    By acdcfan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2007, 06:28
  5. seen them beaten up
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2003, 21:52

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •