[General] is it I am beat or I am beaten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthu_912

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could anyone please tell me which one of the following is the most perfect?
I am beat.
I am beaten.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends on the meaning:
I am beat = I am very tired
I am beaten = I have lost (or hit repeatedly)
(There may be other interpretations)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am beaten is correct. I am beat is incorrect.
To Beat - Irregular Verb Definition - UsingEnglish.com
I am not a teacher and can be wrong.
edit: sorry for doubling. And for not knowing the ambiguity.
***NOT A TEACHER***mmasny, good afternoon. I know from your other posts that you are eager to understand English in all its varieties. Here in the United States, people really do say, "I'm beat" to mean they are tired. So I guess we can classify it as "correct." More important, however, is something I think you want to know: Americans often use "beat" instead of "beaten" when they talk about sports and business. For example, the Dodgers (baseball team) was beat last night by...; Come to our store, our prices can't be beat!!! Maybe Americans don't want to use "beaten" in those areas because it would sound as if someone had beaten them with a stick!!! Have a nice day.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
***NOT A TEACHER***mmasny, good afternoon. I know from your other posts that you are eager to understand English in all its varieties. Here in the United States, people really do say, "I'm beat" to mean they are tired. So I guess we can classify it as "correct." More important, however, is something I think you want to know: Americans often use "beat" instead of "beaten" when they talk about sports and business. For example, the Dodgers (baseball team) was beat last night by...; Come to our store, our prices can't be beat!!! Maybe Americans don't want to use "beaten" in those areas because it would sound as if someone had beaten them with a stick!!! Have a nice day.
Thank you very much! Now, I remember I actually heard it this way. Very good to have it explained!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much! Now, I remember I actually heard it this way. Very good to have it explained!
I thank YOU for your kind note.

Status
Not open for further replies.