Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. indonesia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 111
    #1

    What is a base verb?

    Me and my friend have been having a debate as to what exactly a 'base verb' is?

    In the sentence, 'I play football.' Is 'play' called a base verb?

    and what about, 'He plays football.' What is the name now for the verb (with the 's' added)?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #2

    Re: What is a base verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by indonesia View Post
    Me and my friend have been having a debate as to what exactly a 'base verb' is?

    In the sentence, 'I play football.' Is 'play' called a base verb?

    and what about, 'He plays football.' What is the name now for the verb (with the 's' added)?
    Hello, I am not a teacher,

    but for me the base verb is the infinitive of the verb without 'to'. Note, the base form is still the same, like 'play'. In your case for 'plays' the base form is play without the 's' which is just a mark for the third person (He, she it).

    Have a nice day.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #3

    Re: What is a base verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, I am not a teacher,

    but for me the base verb is the infinitive of the verb without 'to'. Note, the base form is still the same, like 'play'. In your case for 'plays' the base form is play without the 's' which is just a mark for the third person (He, she it).

    Have a nice day.
    That's right, the base verb is the bare infinitive (without to) and "plays" in the OP's sentence is the third person singular form of the verb.

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #4

    Re: What is a base verb?

    The base form is the form that we usually think of first when we think of that verb. Here is a list of 600 of the most common regular verbs:
    .
    .
    (Only the base forms need to be mentioned, because the verbs are regular (play, played, playing, for example).

    Here is a list of irregular verbs:
    .
    .
    (Since the verbs are irregular, all the forms are mentioned to help those not familiar with those verbs.)


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #5

    Re: What is a base verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    That's right, the base verb is the bare infinitive (without to) and "plays" in the OP's sentence is the third person singular form of the verb.
    Hi teacher,

    As I see you are still fast like Lucky Luke, But I would to understand what do you mean by 'OP's'. I know it's easy for you to explain me this point. Whatever that I have an idea, but I do not like to be in the haze.

    Note: I am not sure about my construction 'whatever +that'

    Thanks.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #6

    Re: What is a base verb?

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hi teacher,

    As I see you are still fast like Lucky Luke, But I would to understand what do you mean by 'OP's'. I know it's easy for you to explain me this point. Whatever that I have an idea, but I do not like to be in the haze.

    Note: I am not sure about my construction 'whatever +that'

    Thanks.
    The OP is the Original Poster.

Similar Threads

  1. Can the verb 'to be' take an object?
    By indonesia in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2010, 08:19
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2008, 05:20
  3. verbs
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2008, 15:48
  4. what is first base, second base, third base..?
    By fairycat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2005, 00:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •