Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
Me and my friend have been having a debate as to what exactly a 'base verb' is?

In the sentence, 'I play football.' Is 'play' called a base verb?

and what about, 'He plays football.' What is the name now for the verb (with the 's' added)?

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Me and my friend have been having a debate as to what exactly a 'base verb' is?

In the sentence, 'I play football.' Is 'play' called a base verb?

and what about, 'He plays football.' What is the name now for the verb (with the 's' added)?

Hello, I am not a teacher,

but for me the base verb is the infinitive of the verb without 'to'. Note, the base form is still the same, like 'play'. In your case for 'plays' the base form is play without the 's' which is just a mark for the third person (He, she it).

Have a nice day.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, I am not a teacher,

but for me the base verb is the infinitive of the verb without 'to'. Note, the base form is still the same, like 'play'. In your case for 'plays' the base form is play without the 's' which is just a mark for the third person (He, she it).

Have a nice day.

That's right, the base verb is the bare infinitive (without to) and "plays" in the OP's sentence is the third person singular form of the verb.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The base form is the form that we usually think of first when we think of that verb. Here is a list of 600 of the most common regular verbs:
(Only the base forms need to be mentioned, because the verbs are regular (play, played, playing, for example).

Here is a list of irregular verbs:
(Since the verbs are irregular, all the forms are mentioned to help those not familiar with those verbs.)

:)

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
That's right, the base verb is the bare infinitive (without to) and "plays" in the OP's sentence is the third person singular form of the verb.

Hi teacher,

As I see you are still fast like Lucky Luke:-D, But I would to understand what do you mean by 'OP's'. I know it's easy for you to explain me this point. Whatever that I have an idea, but I do not like to be in the haze.

Note: I am not sure about my construction 'whatever +that':-(

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi teacher,

As I see you are still fast like Lucky Luke:-D, But I would to understand what do you mean by 'OP's'. I know it's easy for you to explain me this point. Whatever that I have an idea, but I do not like to be in the haze.

Note: I am not sure about my construction 'whatever +that':-(

Thanks.

The OP is the Original Poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.