Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi,

I have read in this site in the chapter which talk about irregular verbs that the present participle of 'abide' is 'abiding' but I thought that when we had the following pettern: consonnant + vowel + consonant we must doubling the consonant.

Am I wrong?:-(

Best,

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

I have read in this site in the chapter which talk about irregular verbs that the present participle of 'abide' is 'abiding' but I thought that when we had the following pettern: consonnant + vowel + consonant we must doubling the consonant.

Best,

Yes and no. You are not wrong that rule exists but, like all rules in the English languge, it has exceptions.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Yes and no. You are not wrong that rule exists but, like all rules in the English languge, it has exceptions.

Good afternoon teacher,

You stuck me. There is a rule but sometime like in French we can fall on an exception. Now, I am sure the way to know well all the English's grammar rules is maybe infinite. I have no choice I must learnt it by heart. Like we say in French why to make it easy when we can make it hard. Hope my own translation has a sense in English.

Thanks again.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Best,
The actual rule talks about letters, not speech sounds. We double the last letter in the verb when the letter denotes a consonant. In "abide" the last letter is "e", so we don't do that. As we don't in "rule" - "ruled", "bury" - "buried", "make" - "making". But in such words as "bet", "bid", "sit", "log" we do double the letter: "betting", "bidding", "sitting", "logged". Note that it doesn't apply to all letters denoting consonants: "say" - "saying".
I am not a teacher.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
rs denoting consonants: "say" - "saying".
I am not a teacher.

Hi Mnasny,

It is a little difficult when you are not English to know if we have a consonant sound, but your explanation and the others are enough clear in my mind.

Have a nice day (I hope it's not too cold in your country):-D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like we say in French: "Why make it easy when we can make it hard?"
There certainly seem to be some who agree with that. ;-) (The original was almost perfect.)

:)

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The letter "y" is a bit tricky, because it is sometimes pronounced as a vowel ("tricky") and sometimes as a consonant ("yawn").
Have a nice day too. It's not that cold now, barely freezing. But it was even -20 centigrade this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.