• Thread starter Worried Dad
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,443
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Worried Dad

Hi All,

My daughter has some problem writing correctly in first place. She always end up erasing wordrs shw wrote just now to fix them. Either they were not written correctly (wrong speling or using wrong case to name a few) or merge them with each others. So even she has good handwriting, her writings looks messy due to repeated eraser use.

Can you please suggest some way to motivate her to write correctly at first place or ask someone if she is not sure of what to write.

Thanks in advance,

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
At 6 years of age, she is just beginning to learn to write. Don't be too hard on her, she needs encouragement, not criticism. Her little hand is not used to doing such precise things yet. Make sure that she has lots of pieces of paper, and don't worry too much about what it looks like. I am very much older than she is, and my writing is still not "pretty".

She needs to have some fun with what she's doing. And, be sure to give her a big hug every time she tries to improve.

I am not a teacher.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, do you really think there's something wrong about a 6-year-old writing incorrectly? In my country, this is the time when children start learning. Of course, it's not correct then...
re down: sorry for doubling what you said. We posted at almost the same time.

Last edited:

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Hi, do you really think there's something wrong about a 6-year-old writing incorrectly? In my country, this is the time when children start learning. Of course, it's not correct then...

Exactly what I was trying to say. And, all of the people here on this site are trying to do exactly what that little one is doing..............learning to write and express themselves.

Give her a few years experience and she'll be fine!

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
If it really fusses you, then get her a rough notebook in which she can write her sentences. She can then copy them neatly into her workbook.

Whatever you do, don't make her feel she is doing anything wrong . She is only 6 years old, after all, and I bet even Thomas Babington Macaulay's infant writings were not elegant.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

If she wants to write something specific, it might be a good idea for you to write it on her notebook then she can copy it underneath.

It's not just a case of a child learning how to spell, they have to learn the shapes of letters and how these shapes are distinguished. To us, the difference between the letters p, b, q, and d are obvious. To a child (or anyone learning the Latin alphabet), they are virtually the same thing.

It might be that your daughter has been learning to write for some time now, I don't know. Perhaps you could talk with her teacher if she is at school and see what she feels about your daughter's writing and if anything can be done in class to help.

The good thing about learning to read and write is that the incentive to read and write correctly is within the task itself. The actual act of writing a sentence with meaning is motivating to a child, as is reading a storybook, giving them a sense that they're 'a big boy/girl'.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
You could also play some writing games with her. I don't know her level, so I'm not to suggest any particular games. But it's not that hard to come up with ideas I think. And, as I've just found out, there are plenty of them around the web.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
At 6 years of age, she is just beginning to learn to write. Don't be too hard on her, she needs encouragement, not criticism. Her little hand is not used to doing such precise things yet. Make sure that she has lots of pieces of paper, and don't worry too much about what it looks like. I am very much older than she is, and my writing is still not "pretty".

She needs to have some fun with what she's doing. And, be sure to give her a big hug every time she tries to improve.

I am not a teacher.

I totally agree.
Moreover, the most important thing for a little one of her age is to read appealling and funny stories. By reading, she will fix the correct structures of the language as well as the correct spelling of words.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.