• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

highlight/abstain/push back/follow suit/gut reaction/blow up

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

This announcement was the highlight of yesterday’s press conference with the Advertising Committee’s head, Vladimir Makarov – which was his first press event since his release from the Pre-Trial Detention Center Number Five, where he had been held on criminal charges of abuse of power and damaging the budget of Moscow.

highlight = an especially significant or interesting detail or event

Her hazardous jump from a speeding plane at 2500 feet was the highlight of the performance.

highlight = spotlight

“I hope that the authorities of Moscow will have enough common sense and competence to abstain from distributing similar posters, ” Yan Raschinsky, member of Memorial Human Rights Center, told Vremya Novostei.

Three Conservative MPs abstained in the vote on the second reading of the Railways Bill.

Time and again, the Liberals split three ways - some voting with the government, some against, the rest abstaining.

We have to abstain from drinking.

When the cigars were passed he abstained.

abstain = refrain, forbear

The ceremony was originally scheduled for Saturday, but was pushed back as protests and demonstrations rocked the eastern German city on the anniversary of its bombing during World War II.

push back = cause to move back by force or influence; shift

When diamonds were led, I had to follow suit.

follow suit = to play a card of the same color and kind that another player has put down

When the others went swimming, I followed suit.

follow suit = to do as someone else has done; follow someone's example

With 43 turnovers in their two games since the NBA All-Star break, including 22 Wednesday night at New Orleans, gut reaction might be to blow things up.

My gut reaction was to get out of here as fast as possible.

gut reaction = emotion = a mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes; a feeling: the emotions of joy, sorrow, reverence, hate, and love; a mental or physical response that springs from one's depths

blow up = explode

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: highlight/abstain/push back/follow suit/gut reaction/blow up

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    This announcement was the highlight of yesterday’s press conference with the Advertising Committee’s head, Vladimir Makarov – which was his first press event since his release from the Pre-Trial Detention Center Number Five, where he had been held on criminal charges of abuse of power and damaging the budget of Moscow.

highlight = an especially significant or interesting detail or event

Her hazardous jump from a speeding plane at 2500 feet was the highlight of the performance.

highlight = spotlight

“I hope that the authorities of Moscow will have enough common sense and competence to abstain from distributing similar posters, ” Yan Raschinsky, member of Memorial Human Rights Center, told Vremya Novostei.

Three Conservative MPs abstained in the vote on the second reading of the Railways Bill.

Time and again, the Liberals split three ways - some voting with the government, some against, the rest abstaining.

We have to abstain from drinking.

When the cigars were passed he abstained.

abstain = refrain, forbear

The ceremony was originally scheduled for Saturday, but (was) pushed back as protests and demonstrations rocked the eastern German city on the anniversary of its bombing during World War II. The second ‘was’ can be deleted.

push back = cause to move back by force or influence; shift

When diamonds were led, I had to follow suit.

follow suit = to play a card of the same color and kind that another player has put down(Specific to Card game such as ‘Contract Bridge’)

When the others went swimming, I followed suit.

follow suit = to do as someone else has done; follow someone's example

With 43 turnovers in their two games since the NBA All-Star break, including 22 Wednesday night at New Orleans, gut reaction might be to blow things up.

My gut reaction was to get out of here as fast as possible.

gut reaction = emotion = a mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes; a feeling: the emotions of joy, sorrow, reverence, hate, and love; a mental or physical response that springs from one's depths= a basic and immediate response to something or an instantaneous reaction made without thought

blow up = explode

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All look fine.