• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

A/An instead of the

Hello,
    A while ago I learned (here?) in these forums (here?) when to use the and when not.
    However, I have another question and in order not to make it more complicated than it is, I'm going to choose a simple sentence.

The apple is good for our health.
    The the is unnecessary because usually every apple is good for our health.

Now the problem:
    If I just remove the the, the sentence sounds choppy to me.
    Apple is good for our health.

There is the possibility to use the a/an.
    An apple is good for our health.
    Now it confuses me because it sounds like "One apple is good", "two are bad".
    (A/An = one.)
    What's the best sentence?

P.S: Usually I would have started the sentence with "Eating", but I wanted to write it a bit different.

Cheers!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: A/An instead of the

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    A while ago I learned (here?) in these forums (here?) when to use the and when not.
    However, I have another question and in order not to make it more complicated than it is, I'm going to choose a simple sentence.

The apple is good for our health.
    The the is unnecessary because usually every apple is good for our health.

Now the problem:
    If I just remove the the, the sentence sounds choppy to me.
    Apple is good for our health.

There is the possibility to use the a/an.
    An apple is good for our health.
    Now it confuses me because it sounds like "One apple is good", "two are bad".
    (A/An = one.)
    What's the best sentence?

P.S: Usually I would have started the sentence with "Eating", but I wanted to write it a bit different.

Cheers!
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Good morning, Nightmare. (1) You might consider "Apples are good for our health." (2) It can get confusing. If a friend is eating an apple, he might ask you: "Would you like some apple?" = Do you want a piece of my apple? (3) Have you already heard that famous saying: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. = Apples have good nutritional value. If you eat one every day, you will (they say!!!) have better health. Then you won't have to see a doctor so often. Have a nice day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: A/An instead of the

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Good morning, Nightmare. (1) You might consider "Apples are good for our health." (2) It can get confusing. If a friend is eating an apple, he might ask you: "Would you like some apple?" = Do you want a piece of my apple? (3) Have you already heard that famous saying: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. = Apples have good nutritional value. If you eat one every day, you will (they say!!!) have better health. Then you won't have to see a doctor so often. Have a nice day.
    I agree with The Parser. You can have no auricle before a plural noun to describe a class of thing in general such as apples which can be of different types and kinds such as red or green apple, Indian or American apple etc. Therefore, use ‘the’ before it will be confusing for the listener. So The Parer’s two examples: Apples are good for our health/Apples have good nutritional value, are acceptable. The lack of an article in front of the plural noun (apple) means that the speaker/writer is talking not about particular apple that are known to the listener/reader, but about all kinds apples in general