Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Chums, I'm slightly confuse regarding the usage of "S" in this sentence with the words "lose(s)" and "open(s). I need your help rather "confirmation" to figure out I've used it correctly. I believe "s" will come but I'd like to use it only after your confirmation. So please check it and tell me your views. Here is the sentence

Sentence: "Labour party loses million votes everytime Mr Brown opens his mouth."

Is it right to use "s" with the word lose and open ? What if the sentence contains two, three names more along with Mr. brown ? Does opens become open ?

Thanks

Last edited:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

The Labour Party loses millions of votes, everytime Mr. Brown opens his mouth.

zjennin

Member Type
Other
Yes, both 'loses' and 'opens' are correct here.
Yes, if you added more names in addition to Mr.Brown, you would change 'opens' to 'open'.

(I am not a teacher.)

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Thanks for your reply.:) Would be more helpful if reply had come from English teacher or native speaker. Waiting for any of them to reply.;-)

Edit: This reply was addressed to the person who replied first :)

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Yes, both 'loses' and 'opens' are correct here.
Yes, if you added more names in addition to Mr.Brown, you would change 'opens' to 'open'.

(I am not a teacher.)

:up: I also think along the same line

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Chums, I'm slightly confuse regarding the usage of "S" in this sentence with the words "lose(s)" and "open(s). I need your help rather "confirmation" to figure out I've used it correctly. I believe "s" will come but I'd like to use it only after your confirmation. So please check it and tell me your views. Here is the sentence

Sentence: "Labour party loses million votes everytime Mr Brown opens his mouth."

Is it right to use "s" with the word lose and open ? What if the sentence contains two, three names more along with Mr. brown ? Does opens become open ?

Thanks

You're quite right. The Labour party is singular, so it's followed by "loses" Same for Mr. Brown - he's one person, so we use "opens"

Once we're into plural nouns, we don't use the "s".

The Labour party loses votes every time Brown opens his mouth.

The other parties lose votes every time Cameron and Clegg open their mouths.

buggles (not a teacher, but a native speaker)

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Thanks for your reply.:) Would be more helpful if reply had come from English teacher or native speaker. Waiting for any of them to reply.;-)

I realize that this is a forum called "ask a teacher", but many of the contributors here while possibly not being a teacher as such, have enormous knowledge of English also. They might just not want to show their profession on the forum. :)

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Since the answers provided were all correct, it seems that the professional teachers felt there was no need to intervene.

Status
Not open for further replies.